Why do some people think that sugar and junk food cause behavioral problems?

If heard some people say that sugar causes behavioral problems and to be honest while I agree that these things aren't good for you, I think saying it causes behavioral problems is bullshit. Behavioral problems happen either because of bad parenting or because the child has psychological issues or maybe they have a disability like autism for example. So why do some people say that these foods cause behavioral problems?

Becosue it DOES> You are a child so you don't want to hear the truth. You want to eat all the trash food all you want and don't want to be told that its very bad for you

Junk food makes you fat and that shortens your life span severely and all the sugar leads to heath issues like diabetes

• Charlie3 months agoReport

Yes I know that it causes kids to bounce off the walls, after all I used to bounce off the walls from eating too much sugar as well when I was a kid. I was mostly talking about severe behavioral problems such as disrespect, spitting, throwing violent temper tantrums, screaming, and aggressiveness.

Sugar makes you hyper

• Charlie3 months agoReport

Ok I will give you that but I doubt that it ever caused severe behavioral problems such as spitting, throwing violent temper tantrums, aggressiveness, door slamming, or screaming.

You think saying it causes behavioral problems is bullshit, but decades of scientific research and most people's experience shows differently. Think what you like, of course, but perhaps you had better keep some thoughts to yourself!

• Charlie3 months agoReport

I was talking about more severe behavioral problems like spitting, aggressiveness, violent temper tantrums, disrespect, slamming doors, and, screaming. Yes I know that too much sugar can make kids bounce off the walls but I doubt that it causes these types of behavioral problems.

Sugar and junk food can be psychologically addictive. With any addiction, the desire to get their "fix" it changes a person's behavior as they can also have withdrawal symptoms that effect behavior too. And when challenged with the possibility of having such an addiction they can behave very defensively trying to blame other factors as to why they are behaving differently like trying to blame poor parenting, other psychological issues or mental handicaps. Sugar and junk food can also effect behavior on the short terms as well due to bio-chemistry. Proof of it is seen at every Saturday birthday party right after the birthday cake and ice cream is served.

• LizB

They don't *cause* behavioral problems, but for kids who already have issues, diet *can* have an impact. It's a very individual thing and parents would have to do some experimentation to figure out what works for their kids, but I do agree that scapegoating sugar/junk food and not addressing the real issues a child faces is a cop-out.

Have you never seen a kid after eating a ton of sugar? I think you may be the only person in the world who disagrees that sugar makes children skittish. I don't think it causes long-term behavioral problems if that's what you mean, but it gives them a burst of energy and often makes them bounce off the walls, run around in circles, yell, break things, causes irritability and short-term mania, etc

• Charlie3 months agoReport

If long term behavioral problems means thing like violent temper tantrums, spitting, aggressive behavior, slamming doors, or screaming then yes that's exactly what I'm talking about.

You clearly have never been a parent at Halloween! Sugar makes people hyper- even adults. That's why some people eat sugar for some fast energy. So it clearly affects behavior. In children, who can't handle the hyped up energy, it sometimes results in frenetic movements, which end up in knocking things over or irritating people, or with less control over their emotions. Kids are more likely to break down and throw a tantrum when they are tired, or hungry- or hopped up on sugar. It's probably wrong to characterize this behavior as "bad"- it's not that the child means to be bad, but that they can't handle the physical sensations. It's temporary- unlike the behavior resulting from the other causes you named.

• Charlie3 months agoReport

Yeah it can make kids bounce off the walls, after all too much sugar made me bounce off the walls too when I was younger. I was actually talking about more extreme behavior such as being disrespectful, slamming doors, throwing violent temper tantrums, spitting, or aggressive behavior.

I think they do, they have caffeine in them afterall.

• Charlie3 months agoReport

True but I'm not talking about behavioral issues such as bouncing off the walls. I'm talking about things like aggressive behavior, door slamming,screaming, spitting, being disrespectful, throwing violent temper tantrums ect.