why was NHS direct gotten rid of?

i used to phone nhs direct from time to time years ago when we had it, just to get health advice, the staff on it were usually helpful and sounded as though they cared about your phonecall.

now it has been replaced with an inferior service nhs 1111, where if you call, you get voice automated recordings instructing you what buttons to press to speak to someone, the automated voice sounds very cold and clinical and very unbritish in its approach.

when you finally get through to a human being, the staff manning it sound unsympathetic, uncaring, asking you very straight to the point cold questions....the complete opposite of how NHS direct used to be......also they are not set up to chat or answer any health queries or give advice....they just want to know what symptoms you are having to determine whether you need an ambulance or not.

a really inferior worthless service in my experience...why did they remove nhs direct and replace it with this horrible dictatorship type service?

• Tavy

Chat ? Hundreds phone this line, they don't have time to chat. When I phoned them last month about my husband they were wonderful. The call centre staff put me onto a Nurse who then sent an ambulance.

You were wasting their time because you were lonely.

• ravenhill 1048 A.D

where did i say chat? i said phone for health advice, which nhs direct used to offer, and you never answered the question.

If you aren't happy with the service the NHS offers you, you can always pay for private health insurance.

Update: Quit whining about it then and think yourself you have access to universal healthcare.

The NHS shouldn't have to waste its valuable resources on middle aged lovesick hypochondriacs who appear to be scared of their own shadow who want a chit-chat with someone.

• ravenhill 1048 A.D

shove off! i will never pay for private health care, this is britain not america, and the NHS was founded for the ordinary average british man like me.