Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 11 months ago

Is it common to feel depressed looking at Facebook?

I'm not doing that bad, I'm in university. But I just went on Facebook after a year (I don't go there frequently) I found out one of the people who was in the same high school, same class, same program got a humungous scholarship before going to university, did well there and he's now an intern at Microsoft and he's travelled across the country for that. And looking at other people I knew from high school, many of them have had internships and are doing well, joining extracurriculars and groups at their universities and many of them are at better universities than me. Btw I failed so many courses, that I'm a year behind now and I'm super embarrassed about that. I have lots of social problems also. I'm feeling sad about being less accomplished and not having developed myself as much as I could have. I had the same opportunities as all the others but I missed them.

Ok now that the rant's over. I was thinking of quitting Facebook because I always go into comparison made and feel depressed. My question is is that a common feeling, or am I just avoiding reality and trying to stay in a comfort zone if I don't see how others have done? I mean I could also admire my friends and think of how I could improve and be more like them.

The things you've read are just people's highlight reel. So of course their lives seem so much better. Few people today really have a perfect life. And it's unpredictable. We don't know how we'll be tomorrow. What helps me is to focus on what's really important. Being kind and giving to others, enjoying the simple pleasures like a good meal or the beauty of nature. And especially, a relationship with God. We were created to have a spiritual need. (James 4:8, Micah 6:8). The Bible tells us that soon God will remove all causes of unhappiness (Revelation 21:3,4 and Psalm 37:10, 11). We can look forward to life being like God meant it to be in the beginning. To learn how you can have this hope, see JW.org.

If that's the case then quit it.

It does no good comparing yourself to others.

Me,I did not even go to college.

You were taught at some point, to compare yourself to others. You're not them. Do the best you can in life, and it's never too late to make improvements IF you feel you want some.

It's up to you

• i hardly log in facebook now because i realize what it has become; illusory, fake, full of sheepish people with sheepish profiles.