Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 10 months ago

Should I give up sport because of my ex-boyfriend?

My ex-boyfriend is an avid tennis player, and that is what attracted me to him in the first place. I was a beginner player, and he introduced me to competition (which in hindsight I was not ready for). I'm still not very good, I can't afford a lot of expensive lessons, but I try. His new girlfriend has improved a lot and she plays competitively. If I continue playing I may run into them and I'm not in the mood. I do want to improve in tennis, but there are so many memories tied to my time when I was his biggest cheerleader and he supported my endeavors. I'm getting older and tennis is a lifetime sport, so I'm uncertain.

• Teal
    Favorite Answer

I don't think the slim possibility of running in to an ex, which would at worst be mildly awkward and uncomfortable, is something that should worry you enough to give up a sport you enjoy. You are giving him power over your life and choices that he didn't ask for and doesn't deserve.

Just play with his balls.