Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 6 months ago

Can I be fired for refusing promotion?

I refused a promotion because of health reasons, the new job would be longer hours, more responsibility and stress.

I used to have a position at the company that was all of them and my anxiety disorder really affected me at work, I had regular panic attacks at work, my wife would have to come and collect me and take me home several times, my boss actually configured my job to make it better.

Would this reflect bad on me in the future? If they were laying people off would my refusal of promotion put me at a disadvantage?

The only advantages I have is, I have been at the company since 2009, I am one of the longest serving employees and I am only 29 (30 this year), so I could do this job for many years to come.

Favorite Answer

They may not want a low-level employee with your level of seniority around. It does not look good for other employees

You are going to want to get paid more over time...but they will need to limit you to the salary of the less important/effective employees.

You should absolutely be seeking some professional help. You are 29...you can get over the anxiety...you just need to work at it.

No. Thank them and tell them how much you appreciate the offer, and explain why you would prefer to stay right where you are.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

Companies can always decide to lay off staff and there's not much you can do unless they do it because of your status such as race, nationality, religion, age, etc.

If you do good work though, why would they? If business gets slow, the first thing they are going to do is use it as an opportunity to get rid of marginal performers.

• Rick

Did they lay you off because your job with them was being made redundant? That might be why they wanted you to take a more senior job - to make you safe from the layoff. If not, see a lawyer for this since you fired for the wrong reason. Anyone can turn down a promotion but no one should ever be fired because of it.

• 6 months agoReport

I have not been layed off

Ordinarily, yes.

If the reason for refusing is a disability, then they theoretically aren't allowed to discriminate against you for that (although they might anyway).

But generally, companies don't have to let someone keep a lower position just because the person doesn't want a promotion, and they can fire you just because they want your current job to go to someone who is willing to accept positions.

You can be fired for any reason but its not likely given they want to promote you.

They could have you do some of those things without the promotion.

Given your employers past accommodations maybe they would be willing to do that again for the new job?

When I got promoted several times way back when I found I liked and was better at the newer jobs but they did require different skills, some of which I had not previously developed.

Talk to your boss regarding your concerns and maybe even ask if you later change your mind could you return to your old job.

I would talk with a lawyer about it.

My answers have advice from experts about anxiety disorders and panic attacks. You're welcome to click and read.

No but they will give you more responsibility.