Nikki asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

My 7 year old won't eat?

I can't get my 7 year old daughter to eat. A couple of weeks ago she was sick in the car. Then on Thursday she felt sick again in the car. We're thinking its travel sickness but talking to her it seems she's convinced herself is she eats. She'll be sick. Since Thursday she's been eating very little. Literally a few bites before she says she has a tummy ache or she's full. Even if its her favourite foods. I've tried talking to her saying its travel sickness not food that made her ill and she'll be even more ill if she doesn't eat but it's not working. I'm not sure what to do i dont want it to turn into a eating disorder. What can i do?

Thank you

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Take her to the doctor of course. This could be an eating disorder, although that would be rare in a child that age. It could also be some severe food allergy or a digestive problem she needs medical attention for.

• 3 months ago

Take her to your family GP for a thorough check up. If tests cannot find any real cause for her nausea then it could quite possibly be something that is bothering her. Any bullying issues happening? One of my neices picked up on her mother's radical dieting saying she didn't want to get fat like her grandmother. She started not eating also as became fixated on not getting fat. This was during her parents break up also, so it then became her way of gaining some much needed attention. She never did put on much weight, always thin, and her younger sister who idolised her also started to follow the same pattern. Think about what your daughter may have overheard, whether her parents, other adults, caregivers, friends etc. They can pick up simple conversations and take them quite literally. Schools at the time here were so very focused on healthy food eating I think they may have over-emphasised eating problems too. They meant well but children can be too easily influenced.

• 3 months ago

Take her to the doctor for a physical check up. It is not healthy for her to go without eating. It is best if you know what’s wrong right away rather than down the line.

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Have you made sure it’s just travel sickness and not something actually wrong with her insides?

She needs to know that if she doesn’t eat, she will die.

Take her to the doctor to make sure nothing is wrong with her stomach or intestines.

Because there is a thing that when you eat and get sick, could be cancer or something.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kim
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

Ask if mcdonals happy meal appeals to her? If not then yes doctors appointment. The liquid stuff pedisure could suffice until then.

• 3 months ago

Hospital Hospital Hospital

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 months ago

take her to the doctors and find out whats wrong

• 3 months ago

She needs to see a doctor as soon as possible and also maybe a psychologist. This is serious.

• 3 months ago

Give her nothing to eat for 24 hours. Just water, or very diluted fruit juice, or thin hot soup.

It won't do her any harm, and it might wake up her appetite.

If not, you should certainly take her to a doctor.

• 3 months ago

This could be a question for an experienced professional - especially if it continues and she doesn't gain weight. Also read the parenting books. Especially perhaps “How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Listen so Kids will Talk” by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.