Why 1.65 Volt Ram doesn't boot with 1.5 Volt ram in my MSI Big bang Power x2 ?

I have this ram

8GB DDR3 2133 Mhz Corsair Vengeance 2 X 4GB 1.5 volt

And I have bought this Ram recently

Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz HyperX Beast DDR3 1.65 volt

When I boot them they don't work together

I can get the Kingston to boot or I can only get the Corsair boot

only one of the ram brands can boot

They don't boot together in quad channel mode.....

is there anything i can do to under volt one of them or do something in bios to make them work together?

Please help me my motherboard supports quad channel up to 2400Mhz ddr3

and up to 128GB of ram

MSI big bang power x2

Favorite Answer

So have you looked at the Datashets for both sets of RAM? Are these Single Rank or Dual Rank sticks? Is the CPU a Sandy Bridge-E or EP CPU that already has a dicey Memory Controller? Did you raise the System Agent voltage before mixing the RAM?

I've noticed the IMC on Sandy Bridge Processors don't like mixed memory and they don't like clocking memory much past 1866mhz even with higher System Agent voltage.

I see results for an MSI Big Bang XPower II motherboard but not a Big Bang Power x2 motherboard. If you have the former, did you update the BIOS to version 2.8?

https://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX24C11T3K2_8...

Looks like the Kingston is at least Single Sided, Single Rank memory. I don't know about the Corsair you have since you didn't list the model number or anything.

Why won't it work? There are too many reason to list. BIOS compatibility, ability of the CPU's memory controller, overall quality of the memory, Ranks, subtimings, etc.

• If i can never make them work together i have to sell one of the rams.... which one is better to be sold and which one should i keep
      i mean which brand is more worth it to keep

your mainboard site lists COMPATIBILITY and you can click on the MEMORY tab to see a list of TESTED RAM for that board(just because a ram is not listed does not mean it wont work). it does NOT list any 2400 speed ram. You therefore cannot rely on AUTO_DETECT memory settings in the BIOS(you may have to set it manually). Also depending on what CPU is fitted RAM may need to operate at a certain setting. RAM has a SHAPE. Think of the sockets as occupying spaces on a CHESS board. a ram could be 1x4 or 2x2 for example same size different shape. The trouble is they can be the same SIZE but NOT occupy the same SPACE(ie a different shape if you like) Typically this means they may OVERLAP with the SPACE occupied by RAMS fitted in OTHER sockets. This would usually result in a non starting system. SHAPE is affected by Double-sidded/Density high/low and by what chips are soldered to the boards 8 bit/16 bit/32 bit etc. You may be trying to mix overlapping types of rams and the hardware may cope with EITHER but NOT both at the same time. Unticking certain bios settings and moving dimms to allow a gap(on the chess board) may prevent overlapping but still its up to the hardware whether its allowed to operate together. The CAS latency should always be the same when mixing any rams.

• TomB

I recommend you look at the answers and link given when you asked about mixing ram types and speeds 4 days ago. The article in the provided link is talking about DDR4 Ram because it was written it 2017, but the same problems exist with DDR3 Ram. (and once again - NO, it is NOT talking about mixing DDR3 and DDR4 because they will not even fit in the same motherboard due to being keyed differently, making mixing them a physical impossibility)

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190...

- and the short answer this time is that your computer is likely sensing the difference in voltages as a fault during post and protecting itself by not booting.

THE IMPACT OF MIXING RAM SPEEDS

https://www.realhardwarereviews.com/mixing-ram/3/

• Adrian

The motherboard detects the voltages of the ram (requirements), and usually sets it to the lowest value it finds. Thus, your 1.65V ram does not run properly at 1.5V and thus hangs the entire system.

Either ram stick will work on its own, as the motherboard sets the correct voltage setting. Mixing them together just messes up one or the other....

• Fred

Go to crucial.com and enter the motherboard that you have. It will tell you exactly what RAM will work. You do not have to buy from them but you will see the exact specs for RAM that will work. Compare that with the specs for the RAM that you have.

Your motherboard manufacturer will also list the specs for RAM that will work in your motherboard.

There is presumably only one voltage regulator supplying the RAM subsystem, so one module is at the incorrect voltage when both types are fitted.

It probably sets to 1.5V so the lower voltage module is not over-voltaged.

• Dze

dont mix oddball ram ... some ram simply may not be supported by your board, you need to check the boards support site before you just buy random crap ...