How long after expiration date is wheat germ good for?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • WOOWHO
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

How long after the expiration date .. is wheat germ good for . the expiration date is a date that reflects the sealed unopened container Wheat germ as to SELF life for sale ( 1 year duration ) an OPENED jar of wheat germ can go RANCID , because it contains OILS ... use ones OLFACTORY sense .. ones NOSE .. it is advice of the MAYO clinic and SFGATE

to store once opened jar tightly sealed in the Refrigerator and purchase in small size container to use up within 30 days

Source(s): SFGATE Mayo clinic
  • patty
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

use it till finished. don't worry about date.

• Throw it in the freezer and it won't go bad. Won't get rancid and won't attract bugs.

As everyone pointed out - that is not an expiration date and if it has gone bad (rancid) believe me - you can smell it.

• God
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

If there are no bugs in it and it tastes good it's fine.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

If only it were an actual expiration date but ALAS! it is not.

Its a best if used by date so if the wheat germ doesn'tsmell old, its fine.

• 4 months ago

you cannot have it past its best by date

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It doesn't have an expiration date.

• 4 months ago

Gross thought just throw it away, throw it away please.

• Julien
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

I don't think it's an expiration date, I think it's just a "best before" date. Which would mean that it will always stay safe to eat, but there could be some degradation of the taste, the texture or the vitamin content (and essential fats, but the minerals should remain). If the degradation of vitamins is too important it will not fulfil any more the main role of wheat germs, it will be more like plain wheat.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

If it looks, smells and tastes ok then it's safe to eat. Over time the nutritional content will diminish but not immediately. I don't go by 'use by dates' and I'm still using corn flour from 2010.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.