Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

How on earth do I find out what I want to do in life?

I'm an adult, making no progress in life. I have no idea what I want to do and it's depressing. I'm heading nowhere. I work the crappiest job ever. I'd love to get an education or something but I have no idea what I'd do. I don't know what I'd like to do. I don't even know what I'm interested in. I have no passion or hobbies or anytging. Life is bland. Any suggestions how to find what I want to do in life or even what my interests are.

Favorite Answer

Start with the basics - do you like to work with your hands or are you more inclined to follow what some people deem "professional" jobs (think computer programmer, accountant, etc.). There is NOTHING wrong with following either one of these career paths though some people will make you think it is all about the education. From answering this basic question, you can start to narrow down your goals. For example, if you like to work with your hands, now you might be looking at a vocation such as auto mechanic, plumber, electrician, etc. Again, there is nothing wrong with any of these (although yes, some people will look down at you - ignore them). Note that the idea of choosing a career is the same for both trades and professional. Here you start discarding careers - maybe you like to work with your hands but don't really care for working on cars, there goes auto mechanic. Maybe you like the idea of working on cars, just not on engines - think body man, metal fabrication, etc. (In case you didn't notice, I am specifically using trades, not just to show you how to choose but also that college is NOT necessary and is not right for everyone). Once you have narrowed your choice down to a few careers (maybe you do like auto mechanic AND body work, etc.)., look for a vocational school in your area AND talk to someone who actually does the work. You now have the basic info you need - now go to a local jobs center AND talk to that vocational school - find out what you need to do to get into the field AND get the knowledge to excel (for example, back to cars, good mechanics are constantly getting trained and getting SME certified to stay on top of their game).

In your off time, check your local community college - many of them have credit and non-credit courses you can take that are inexpensive. Some of them will lead to an associates degree that you can then take to a 4-year college for your bachelors (even if the credit class is in something you decide not to pursue - such as history - you now have those credits you can apply to your Associate Degree). Or look for short classes that are non-credit - let's say you are considering auto mechanic, my community college (and a lt of others) offer really inexpensive classes (just a few nights) in small-engine repair, You get two things out of this - you learn whether you want to fix engines for a living and, even if you don't, you can now fix your riding lawn mower (and your neighbor's :)).

Choosing what you want to do with your life is a process, and for most of us (I got lucky, I knew what I wanted to do in 8th/9th grade) it takes a while of experimentation to figure it out.

stay out of churchs of ANY kind..

• Lv 4

make sure you tell all the correct humans I said that!

How do you know your job is the crappiest job? There is probably worse. Your mission, "should you decide to accept it" is to find the crappiest job...

so now you have a purpose. Something to go viral on YouTube

You find out what you really want to do in life by channeling your inner Jeffery Dahmer.

Life isn't about doing what you wan't, it's about finding out what your duties are and living accordingly. What are your duties to your spouse and children (if any), you parents, your friends, your neighbors, society and, above all, to God? Start to answer those questions and your life will have more purpose to it.

• Erik

me too

^^^^^^^^^

There are only four vocations in life, in any religion, race, nationality, etc. Priest, nuns and monks, married, and single. (there are different names for them in any society) being Catholic that is what we call the four vocations. Determining which one you are and should be is a good first step. The first two are obvious but decidedly have much more responsibility, then the most prolific adult vacation is marriage and last but not least we all start as single human beings. That makes it worthwhile whatever you do and work from there. The first two vocations are for people who can help single and married people find what they're the place is in the world. The difficulties Catholic people have is they constantly fail to realize the first two vocations not being married can know what they're talking about that priest, nuns and monks see the world as it is to them and are thus open-minded and observant in what they see, think and feel about

the things married people and single people go through. It"s a simple concept but not easy to accept finding what works for you. Simplicity as for work there are two things you can do: work with your hands or your mind both are equally gratifying. You not knowing your interests suggested you have a vocation to be a priest, monk or nun. Take it from there.

• Helen

Try a few different things. Take an evening class, try a new sport, volunteer. Most people find out what they want to do quite by accident.

• ?

There are career advisers out there. Go into your local employment office, they should be able to put you on to one. Then you can discuss your strengths and weaknesses, and indicate what career path might suit you