Do you need to know a little math in order to built a building?

I want to built a skyscraper but i'm not that good at math

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

Yes. You need a huge knowledge of math in order to build a building. When you know a little math, your building might collapse easily.

• 4 months ago

I wouldn't go into your building.

• 4 months ago

Yes. Math is needed.

• 4 months ago

What do you mean by building a skyscraper? Of course you could hire people to do every part of the work, including the math … but then you'd have to have a LOT of money.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

I would say yes. You do not need to be a designer of a building in order to build it (designing definitely requires math), but you still have to be able to do some basic math to do the actual physical measurements correctly. Never mind a skyscaraper, just renovating the basement requires a little math.

• Julien
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Building big monuments was actually one of the main reason the Greeks invented maths, so yes some maths are needed.

Nothing extremely complicated, but still a few university-level courses. A bit of linear algebra, a bit of ODE and PDE, Fourier and Laplace transforms, things like this.

• 4 months ago

That really doesn't make any sense. Though one of the first jobs men had was an architect a caveman did not expect to build a skyscraper.

• JOHN
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

Building a building involves knowing how much material of various sorts is needed, how much it will cost and being able to judge whether the final structure as envisaged will stand up well to the numerous stresses of internal loading, temperature variations, high winds, earthquake shock waves, etc to which it will be exposed . And if the structure, as you indicate, is a skyscraper, all of these factors will loom large. You need to be able to calculate material quantities, internal load stresses, the resonant responses of the structure to shock waves, its flexure response to high winds, and so on. Undoubtedly, maths is involved, and for some of the factors, quite a lot of it. Why not start more modestly, say with building a garden shed?

• audrey
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

It costs billions of dollars to build a skyscraper. Do you have billions of dollars? And yes it takes math and at least a degree in architecture.

• 4 months ago

Math is important in architecture. You could be a construction worker they need to know some maths but no where near as much as those who design the buildings.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.