If I was fired from a job, how could I afford living expenses such as rent and food?

I know this may sound an easy question. I had been laid off from jobs a few times, but because I live with my parents, I always had a home to go to. I'm thinking about in the future, if I got a job that was enough to live independently on... if I suddenly got fired for whatever reason, how could I get an... show more I know this may sound an easy question.

I had been laid off from jobs a few times, but because I live with my parents, I always had a home to go to.

I'm thinking about in the future, if I got a job that was enough to live independently on... if I suddenly got fired for whatever reason, how could I get an income that will pay for rent and food? Would I have to find another job quickly, or turn to government welfare payments (which may not be enough anyway)?