Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBoats & Boating · 3 months ago

Canoeing weight?

Me and my girlfriend are going on a float trip tomorrow. I’m a big guy. 6’4 300+ lbs. She’s only 5’4 150. I’ve never been floating before, would I be too heavy for a canoe? will it tilt back? will we sink?? whats the average weight limit? someone let me know, i’m worried this won’t work.

I've done trips with 3 dudes around 180-200 pounds each and about 40 pounds of gear each.

That is paddling 10+ miles a day crossing large lakes in somewhat heavy weather hitting a few rivers/streams, 1/2 mile Portages, etc.

Never had an issue.

I've had 1000 pounds in a canoe before. Can't recommend doing any white water with that much weight, but flat water was ok.

Far too heavy to be safe and stable despite what the Armchair Admirals say!

Should be fine. You should wear automatic life jackets though. OK you can swim but not if you have whacked your head on a rock.

Canoes will hold you.

Can you stand up from a sitting on the ground position without overbalancing while the ground is wobbling beneath you?

Getting safely in and out of a canoe without capsizing it should be your first concern. Some large people are agile, others are not.

The average canoe can usually hold about 500 pounds.

For white water rafting, it depends on the company, some say no limit, others say All participants must be between the weight of 70 to 250 pounds

When you figure out the exact type of watercraft just google something like weight limit canoe or whatever the thing is