Am I the only one that hates and despises front loading washers ?

They are good for towels, socks, bed sheets, few other things but trying to soak your undershirts, underwear especially whites forget it. Your wasting money, time, electricity. My white security work shirts get massive dirty easily and need to be washed weekly soaking for a good four or five hours.

@ Nancy you going to play for the laundry soap, Oxi-clean, bleach, dryer sheets and replace the two shirts they provided me only yes two shirts. I am not spending $5.50 at a laundry facilities more than once a week to wash my two work shirts hence why they need to be soaked. The fact that front loading washers suck does not help the matter either.

^ Pay ^ not play

we have 4 top loaders and one front in the laundry room at my building. Nobody uses the front loader unless they have bulky stuff. I prefer the top loaders for soaking and because they don't collect the mildew smell front loaders collect and transfer to the wash. The proof is in the results. Front load washers leave a mildew smell which is about as bad as it gets....

• Mark

Not really. What I DO despise though, are electronic controls. (If something goes wrong, it will.) I used to have a front-loader with analog dials and I quite liked it, and it was-self-heating from tap-cold to almost boiling, so I rarely had to use a cold prewash to keep things like blood or eggs from "setting".

No, my mother despised them. They are prone to leaking and do not rinse as well as a tub full of water. Plus, I'm not sure you can soak clothes in a front load. At least not very well.

From all the things I've read....I'm happy I still have a top loader.

Well I dont hate or despise front loaders but I have a preference for top loaders. I have an LG smart drum top loader machine myself which does all the required washing quietly with no fuss or bother. It allows for a 3 hour soak if wanted, or I just turn the power off and restart later if I wish. It does like to play a merry little tune when it has finished a cycle though ... that has raised a few eyebrows lol! 😅

Hate and despise as much as you want, but most of us with front loaders are perfectly happy with them. You CAN achieve the same results, including a soak, if you just read the instructions carefully.

The other great point about a front-loader is that the top is free to use as a work surface or storage area. With a top-loader that space is wasted.

Old Kenmore appliances are the bomb. I have a used washer and dryer from the early eighties that are analog, and I can still get parts for, cost me $150 for the pair and are still going after twelve years. Worked in manholes for the entire time and my clothes get clean. I always wanted a Wascomat front loader (commercial laundromat), but since a washer uses minimal power anyway, the Kenmore rocks. Buy these.

Try soaking them in the bath. If you only wash your shirt weekly you probably don't use that much either . . .

Mine has a "Rinse Hold" button on it so if I ever need to soak something, I can.

Check if yours has this facility. It will stop during the wash cycle and won't continue to the rinse and spin until you press the button again.

• Nancy

Maybe if you washed it more often than weekly, it wouldn't need such a huge soaking.

• Mark

@Nancy: Some things (like collars or cloth napkins that have been used so often they smell "greasy") actually DO need a good soak once in a while.