martin asked in PetsDogs · 1 year ago

My dog is very aggressive?

My dog is extremely dog aggressive. i don t know what to do anymore. i adopted her last year in October and I ve contemplated taking her back, but i just cant bring myself to do so because i can see in her eyes how much she loves me. She is a few months over a year old and shes an American staffordshire terrier. personal training is not an option because i can not afford it. I need training tips and guidance. Thank you all for your responses in advance.

Honestly, it's a bully breed. This is the type of behavior you'd expect.

• *****

Most members of the breed are dog aggressive to some degree. It's genetic, and you can't train out genetics. Training can help to refocus and control her in everyday situations, but you're going to need professional help, and she will never be okay to be around other dogs. Management, to prevent her having access to other dogs and prevent redirected aggression, is what will be needed, for life. If this dog is beyond your skill level or willingness to manage, it is best to find a breed-specific rescue to surrender her to; they will be prepared to handle dog aggression and to choose a new home that's also prepared to manage that behavior.

you could not have adopted this dog from a shelter or rescue...dogs coming in to these organizations for placement are thoroughly evaluated as to any potential behavior making them risky pets...even the most loving human friendly dog would quickly be assessed as to danger to other animals..... but what you have sounds extreme and very hard wired in a breed notorious for fighting in the pit...not all pits still retain the aggression (towards other dogs) that old time breeders of fighting dogs encouraged, but yours is one that continued.

so, what to do? I have owned many terriers, the smaller ones... but the one I knew was flat out dangerous was my second male...he was SO beautiful, came from a breeder that showed his dogs but as an old time breeder he bred for attitude, meaning fearlessness.. at the age of eight weeks it was apparent that IF this pup was angered, he was out of control...at all other times he was perfect...and by out of control I mean very serious injury with unbelievable fury, and no matter what you hear or read about training, techniques there is NOTHING can change this...this kind of nature goes down only when the dog is dead.

I loved this dog so I put in the time to make absolutely certain NOTHING was ever done to compromise his life. this means AVOIDING the trigger mechanism at all times....for your dog it is really only avoiding other dogs, this is accomplished using a muzzle that fits SECURELY and never reinforce that hostile attitude which increases with every dog your dog encounters... it is your choice.

It’s cruel to put it down

• Layne
    1 year ago

Where is Cesar Milan when you need him? But an aggressive dog is a risk to attack.

• 1 year ago

I understand that i didn't explain at all my dogs behavior, causing people to just call me an amateur and send me on my way. So my dog is completely fine around people. i trust her enough to even have loose around strangers because she is so friendly and kind to people, her problem is other dogs. the minute a dog comes into line of sight its as if she just sees red and she goes in attack mode, completely ignoring my commands. Ive owned two male pitbulls (not neutered) at once before that never gave me a problem with people or other dogs (these dogs have since passed of old age, i had them 12 and 13 years). my dogs medical bills are not a problem because my dogs have insurance( which i dont even have) the reason i cant afford a dog trainer is because i live in California. specifically the Los Angeles area, where every dog trainer thinks they are ceaser milan and there prices are stupid high. all am asking is for advice on how to handle a much more hard headed dog. Shes over a year old and is a complete sweet heart that listens to every thing i tell her to do up until another dog comes into line of sight.

• 1 year ago

That is pretty typical of the breed. A breed that goes totally unchecked, unmonitored, not tested, no selective breeding & since aggression is inherited, it could be the breeder that is popping out aggressive dogs cause the parents were aggressive.

Where did you get the dog? It had to be from a BYBer. There are no reputable breeders who breed pits. This breed lacks uniformity & come in many sizes, many temperaments, no two are alike.

Get on google & google anything that has to do with working with an aggressive dog. 'tame the aggressive dog',' how to stop dog aggression' are just two but there are many more that would bring up information about how to stop the aggression. But not understanding the type of aggression could lead you down the wrong path. What makes the dog aggressive? other dogs? what about people?

Here in NM many are euthanized cause of the aggression & over population of pits & chihuahuas. At least the chi's are gathered up from all over the state & sent to other parts of the United States where little dogs are highly desired.

• 1 year ago

LOL at American Staffordshire Terrier. So you received an AKC pedigree when you adopted her?

This isn't a Staffordshire. It's a Pit Bull - an ill bred mix of bully breeds. The shelter only called it a "Staffordshire" because that made it more adoptable.

Of COURSE it's aggressive - it's what they do "best". Keep a muzzle on this whenever out in public and a choke collar on it so you can control it. Work with a trainer but odds are it will NEVER be able to be around other dogs.

• 1 year ago

Keep her completely away from other dogs until you can afford a trainer, then. In my opinion, if you can't afford a trainer, you can't afford a dog. If you can't afford a trainer, you sure can't afford the vet bills that might result if your dog gets in a fight and gets injured, or worse, you get sued for the damage done to another dog.

Since you gave no details about what the dog does and in what circumstances, it's impossible to offer specific advice about what to do about it. Melissa's general advice is very good. Start with that.

• 1 year ago

aggressive how? Pits are a dog a beginner/first time dog owner should not have. I love them, they're great dogs, but they are strong and bull headed. They need an alpha owner to make the relationship work as it should. If she being protective over you, (people walking near you, touching you, etc.) you need to become alpha quickly- she's claiming you as hers. She should not go in or out of your house before you (you walk out first.) She shouldn't be able to eat until you tell her she can. She should not be allowed on the furniture without permission. I'd also get her a gentle leader; it's a head halter, it works similarly to a horse halter. It helps with lunging/ jumping/ pulling- she could only pull you with the weight of her head. Pits are notoriously good guard dogs, but YOU need to set the boundaries of when being protective is what you want, and show her you're the leader of your pack.

If she's being aggressive with you/ in general- without any warning/for no reason, I'd take her back. They shouldn't adopted out an aggressive dog (if she's from a rescue.)