Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 6 months ago

Lead dust exposure?

Paint has been chipping from the ceiling of my house for a few weeks now and yesterday it was my turn to sweep the large pant chips that have just fallen. Some of the dust from the paint irritated me. My house is old (built in 1927) but that park was painted in the 90s. What are the chances that the paint under is lead based and that I just had lead exposure? I was only picking up pieces for a little while. I would say a couple of seconds.

The chances of your getting lead exposure are totally based on yourself if you're sweeping up old paint where a nuisance mask. Lead is primarily dangerous in paint when little children eat it. an adult doesn't usually get lead poisoning from sweeping up some chips that have fallen from the ceiling.

• Droopy

you can get lead test kits to check it. As far as your exposure it would take months or years to build up enough to be harmful an even then it rare. lead paint has been overblown granted its not good an should be removed an not used when possible. But its not the end of the world if you contact it

It's almost 100% certainly that the paint in there contains lead. However, unless it was turned into dust and you inhaled it, you are safe. The sweeping probably just stirred dust that was already on the floor. You would need to really grind away at paint chips to turn them into dust. Next time, wear a mask.