I have just purchased my first home. It's 2 bedrooms. I will not have a guest room in my home. Is that bad?

I will not have a guest room in my home because I will be using my 2nd bedroom as a workspace/office. People are making me feel like a horrible person for not having one. I don't entertain a lot of company especially overnight. but should I have a guest room? Is it horrible of me not to have one?

My house has 2 bedroom and my wife and I had one room and our 2 sons had the other room. The sons have both left home and are married. Their old room still has loads of their stuff in it and only one single bed, so when they visit with their wives they stay at the local motel/hotel - if one of them come on his own then he sleep in the single bed. This gives them some privacy and my wife and I the same. So I would say no it is not bad. I'm 63 and the last thing a daughter-in-law wants is to be bumping into an old guy in his underpants and t-shirt in the middle of the night for his nightly toilet trip.

Umm... who is criticizing you over something like this? It's so trivial and has nothing to do with them.

• zipper

Not unless you invite people to stay over a lot!

• Judy

No it's not bad to not have a guest room.

Tell the cheap wads they can get a hotel.

Screw 'em, its your house, do what you want with it. If it becomes a problem down the road you can always convert the office back to a guest house. Sounds to me like they just want a cheap place to crash any time they feel like it.

Good grief! If you have a respectable sofa that flips out as a temporary overnight bed any visitors should feel overjoyed. Having a guest room just means they would be inclined to stay even longer and who wants that anyway. Enjoy your first home, suit yourself and pay no heed to your envious friends. It sounds like they are just jealous.

I'm surprised someone isn't calling you dumb or claiming you're a troll. Some of the legitimate questions I'm asked I'm called those names. It always amazes me how I'm called that when I'm not a troll. The fools that call me that are the trolls & losers with nothing better to do than calling people that.

• susan

No. You are free to use the rooms in your home for any legal activity of your choice, without feeling bad about it. Congratulations on your new house!

In 22 years in my house, I've likely had people stay over less than 20 times.

• F

Exactly, so why pay thousands (or maybe tens of thousands) for extra space to accomodate them? Makes no sense at all.