Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 6 months ago

Why do Taxi services still exist?

Compared to Uber and Lyft they are mega slow, often times it cost more to travel a mile away from the airport in a taxi than it cost to travel 12 miles in an Uber... and yes, Uber and Lyft are very safe. The chances of being assaulted by a driver are less than 1 and 100 million...

so why do Americans continue to use Taxi Cabs?

• Edna

There are many towns in the US that might have a taxi service, but there isn't enough people there who need to hire a ride to make driving for Uber or Lyft financially feasible. A taxi driver is an employee of the cab company; he drives the cab company's vehicle, and he is paid a salary. Uber and Lyft drivers are independent businessmen who drive their own vehicles and work for themselves. If they're not on a run, they make no money. .

A cab driver has to undergo a background check before he is hired, and he is bonded. Uber and Lyft drivers are not.

• zipper

Because we like them, they are dependable, and your an idiot to boot!

Taxis are alot cheaper

The yellow color is what they are after. the other ones are more expensive and time efforts. What happens 20yrs. from now????

Other than Robert DeNiro, I haven't heard of taxi drivers killing people recently.

• Jay P

"The chances of being assaulted by a driver are less than 1 and 100 million..."

Where did you get this statistic from? Please state the source.

Cabs are easier in certain circumstances such as at an airport or hotel where cabs often sit waiting for their next customer.

Taxi companies are a bit more picky who they hire. I have never had a problem with a taxi driver. There are all kinds of stories about horrible Uber, Lyft and other ride sharing company drivers doing all kinds of awful things.

• Ron

uber and lyft are taxi services

• Ron

bullshit, they are a driver and a car for hire. that is the very definition of a taxi

• Erik

I only use taxis about once a decade. So I definitely don't want to download some app (I don't have a smartphone anyway) for something I'm going to use one time. And when you call a taxi company, you are calling an actual business, not some random person who may or may not show up. Lastly, as someone else already mentioned, if I am at the airport, they have about twenty already lined up, waiting for you.

Because employees of cab companies have background checks, unlike the rapists of Uber and Lyft.