If I have enough money to buy 2 Yugo M48 Mausers for investment should I do it?

Favorite Answer

Not a whole lot of "investment potential" in them, but then again people are spending way too much on Mosin Nagants now so...

I've had military rifles, and I see some appeal to them but I'd rather have rifles that get really good accuracy, use more common ammo than 8mm and can easily put optics on them. If you simply want to invest there are better markets than rifles to consider. If you own something and can't use it to the best potential then why have it.

We have enough for them. We don’t get guns though. Guns are dangerous.

Investment?.....I am not the rifle expert, not the financial guru either- but I would suspect that the Yugos "might" be a good investment two or three lifetimes away.

• JOHN B

I suppose it depends on the price, doesn't it? The market for those has just about topped out @ 350-400 for ex. used, all matching, few dings. Lesser condition and mis-matched parts goes down from there. A pristine as issued, unfired may go 450-500. I gauge this by what I've seen offered on the web. I don't see much more appreciation but who knows what will happen in 20yr. Browse around and see what you can find

Just a word of warning: If Mitchell Mausers, inspect very, very carefully and offer 30% less.

Enough money has two meanings for me. Just enough money means if i buy two rifles i dont have much left over until i get paid again. Enough money could mean that i have a little surplus that allows buying 2 rifles that i can keep for a while.

It seems that M48 Mausers are really nice and possible to find one in pristine condition for a reasonable price. They may not be all that good for speculation. They are post ww2 and most of their history is stored in a warehouse covered in cosmoline. Thats why the pristine condition and the reasonable price means there is a lot of them that way. If i were to collect them i think i would collect them in all the changes that have been made #1 M48, # 2 M48a, #3 M 48b, #48 bo, #5 M48/63. I like to collect types more than just dates or just to have a bunch the of the same kind. Dont expect a lot of gain moneywise when you go to sell them unless you are young and have time to wait. Then when that time does come remember the cost of living ratio when you bought vs the same when you sell. You could be losing money if you figure it that way. I have figured it that way and have lost.

Yugo Mausers are very good quality and good shooting rifles that will be around for your grandkids.

• falconry2

In Economics it's called an Opportunity Cost, what could be done with the money/time/resource IF you had made choice B instead of A. Invest $1000 and add $20 a month and it gets growing well in a few years.

Buy one, put the rest into CVX stock, reinvest all dividends and see what happens after ten years.

I would not buy them myself but if you like them and want them then buy them. If I could find two '98 Mausers

I would buy them but I know very little about a M48.

• curmudgeon55

M48 was K98/M35 made post war Yugoslavia but mostly stored /reserved. SKS became standard issue about 1956 and the 8mm bolt actions secondary so reserve weapons remained in storage until finally declared surplus, time to sell USA civilian market for $$$.l