Anonymous

I’m in high school and babysit. Should I get a real job once I’m 16?

I turn 16 in October and get paid $15 an hour and work 15 hours a week, totaling $225 a week. But should I get a job in retail or fast food or something? Will it look better on my resume? I also hav volunteered at a hospital since I was 14.

I don’t mind earning minimum wage.

• Frank

$15 an hour...and you think you will make MORE working in a FAST FOOD RESTAURANT!?!?! What?!?! And your $15 an hour ISN'T TAXED!?!?!? Are you crazy? You are 16...you have ZERO responsibilities!

Fast food SUCKS. Long grueling hours in a hot environment listening to idiots order food. Yeah...that's FUN!

• Don't get a job just to make it look good on your resume, get one because you want to work in retail or fast food, which usually start around minimum wage. Volunteer work can look good on your resume too.

Work experience can look good on a resume, but do the job because you want to work at a restaurant or store.

• Judy

That IS a real job if t's steady.

You are doing good with that job, I would stick with it. I didnt get my first job until college, and everyone hates their first job lol, it takes some getting used to but $15 an hour is good for your age so might as well stick with it and save up some $.

The best thing you could do is if you save up a few thousand, when you are 18 open an IRA account and buy an S&P 500 index fund and have dividend reinvesting on, and some day you will be 50 years old and be really happy you did that. (S&P index fund is already diversified so you dont even need to know anything about stocks).

Keep the babysitting job. You cannot make that kind of money in the business world. AND, when the kids are asleep you can do your school work.

That's your personal decision and of course it would look better on your resume, you don't however need a resume for fast food or retail jobs. Once you go professional, after going to college, you will need a resume and your fast food and retail jobs would not matter unless you were promoted to a lead position.

You make more money babysitting. How long have you been doing this? Do you have at least 1 or 2 families who are long-term "regulars?" A reference from parents on how reliable you are, how trustworthy you are, that you have been their go-to person for several years, etc. can mean a lot to employer. You won't get 4, 5, 6 yrs of experience with a manager at McD's or McWhatsits.

You sure as heck won’t get $15/hr at a fast food job.