Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 10 months ago

Someone stole my Capital one bank card and deposited a fake check of $5,000, will the bank forgive me if I tell them that my card was stolen?

it was stolen so would I still have to pay

I didn't notice it was stolen until later on and he had already deposited the fake check

• Bill
    Favorite Answer

I'm assuming someone wrote a $5,000 check on the account, not that someone deposited a fake check into your account. Correct? You wrote checks or used a debit card on that $5,000? Correct?

For that much money, file a police report and take a copy of that to the bank. If you aren't willing to, your scenario never happened.

You should have reported the stolen card as soon as you realized it was gone. Waiting doesn't help your case as it looks like you are complicit. Notify the bank now. They will file a police report. They may or may not give you your money back (the chances of them giving it to you were greater if you had reported the theft immediately). The bank will cancel the card and the account.

It's not your fault unless you did something really silly like write a pin number down or gave information away but if someone simply stole your card they should pardon it.

How did they have your PIN number and ID to deposit a check?

Ok, just to make sure I understand this

Somebody (according to you) stole your bank card and deposited a $5000 check?

How does that work exactly? This person steals your bank card and deposits a check? Where and how did he get a check from your bank card?

You are either trying to figure out a pretty poor scam, or your a troll.

But for the fun of it I will play-Why didn't you call the bank and tell them? You know why you didn't? Because you are trying to figure out how to scam the bank

If it was stolen, why haven't you closed your bank account?