Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 6 months ago

Second time trying an edible and it gave me a panic attack?

First time I ever tried it, it was on accident which lead to a panic attack as well. Second time, I thought I would be alright since this time I'd be aware of the high and in a "safer" environment.. my boyfriend brought two cannabis chocolates, in which I only had a little bit and he had the whole thing for his. (It was 10 mg per square) I had two and a half, he had all 9 squares. He's been smoking weed for a while longer than me to be fair but the results of this were a catastrophe.

Not sure if it was because I hadn't eaten much or because I'm on anti depressant pills (prozac). We went out to a lunch and as I was getting ready to eat, I started to feel the high, my symptoms included:

Extreme paranoia

Extreme anxiety

excessive sedation

Hypomania

mild form of mania

thoughts feel magnified

Depersonalization-derealization

Spacing in and out

psychedelic experiences

(My hands appeared tiny)

psychosis

My senses were extra potent and I felt as if my senses and thoughts were all against me, it was beyond terrifying.

What could be the reason behind this? My boyfriend suggested that my brain chemistry just doesn't mix well with weed. Can anyone relate?

• Rick
    Favorite Answer

From the symptoms and how severe some were, you probably had too much THC - the chemical in weed that makes you high. You boyfriend has a good point; some people are more affected by THC than others. Either reduce the amount of edible you eat or stay with smoking weed since that seems to work for you.

I have anxiety issues and have since I was 13. When I used to smoke weed, the most enjoyable buzz I ever had was smoking homegrown weed. It had less THC so it was less stimulating.

There's a chance that the edibles were laced with some other drug.

I don't know what dose of Prozac you're taking or how long you've been taking it but it's interesting that it didn't block the panic attacks you had, assuming they were full-blown panic attacks.

"SSRIs approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for the treatment of panic disorder include fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil, Pexeva) and sertraline (Zoloft)."

I take pristiq and it's great at blocking my panic attacks.

Your boyfriend is right. Some people react that way.

There's a great variety of things that are good for mental health - probably some things you never heard of. And I mean things backed up with solid scientific evidence. There are things that cost little or nothing and are safe.

I'm not telling you to quit the Prozac, but learn about your options. Details in my answers, like this one -

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20181...

I would avoid using it from now on

You are only supposed to take little pieces off those chews. Aside from that, if you have a family history of mental illness or have had anxiety issues yourself, marijuana would be something to avoid. Even in edibles. It can trigger a whole host of mental issues if you are susceptible.

Source(s): My own experience with CBD oil.