Why do I have dreams of me drowning and When I wake up I gasp for air?

Ok so , when I sleep I’m having a perfectly normal dream but then Someone throws me into the water and I drown and the thing is I know I’m sleeping and I start holding my breath because i think it’s real , when I wake up I gasp for air

Favorite Answer

Drowning is used as a symbol of losing the power to live. So of course you would be gasping for breath. Try to think of what you are living through right now, and where you feel so threatened. Perhaps something happened to you in the past, and you have unresolved feelings or fears about it? Your dreams maybe trying to alert you to something dangerous, that has skipped by your conscious mind, but your subconscious mind has picked it up. Instead of going back to analyse the dream, look more into your everyday Life and ask yourself, where am I so frightened that I am quite breathless? Something eventually will pop into your mind.

• WinterRose

Thanks for the BA!

Water is a symbol of our emotions and drowning in a dream might symbolize being overwhelmed with emotions. ... Dreams about drowning might indicate being deeply involved in some relationship or overwhelmed by some goal or an idea, which is causing imbalance in your life. This dream is a warning of overdoing something.

• Snoopy

Anxiety. I had a similar one where I was suffocating and needed a tracheotomy.