Patrick asked in EnvironmentConservation · 6 months ago

My roommate runs her TV all day and all night. How much is this costing me?

she is one of those people who sleeps with the TV on all night, and if she is home the next day, the TV is on all day. She doesn't watch the TV, it is just background noise. She pays me $120 a week in rent, utilities included. It bugs the hell out of me. On the other hand, I play my computer all day when I am home. So maybe the TV by comparison uses less energy.

Favorite Answer

Probably much less than $5 a month. Maybe in the neighborhood of $1.25.

The stuff that eats up electric is heating appliances like water heaters. Even a refrigerator does not use that much. Electronics is exceptionally frugal, thanks to semiconductors.

Couple of pennies an hour. Why isn't roommate paying 1/2 of the utilities??

We went away for a month and had all the lights turned off. No TV, no computers were running, just basically the fridge and freezer.

Our electrical bill dropped by about 1/3. You can look up the power consumption for the make and model of the TV online and calculate the cost (you'll need the cost per kWh which you can get off the electrical bill).

Let's say the power consumption is 30 W, that's 0.030 kW. Let's say your electricity costs 15 cents per kWhr or $0.15 / kWh

0.030 kW * 24 hr/day * 30 day/month * $0.15/kWh = $3.2. Yes, $3 and 20 cents. I trip to Starbucks is likely more.

Now, some TV can use much more power like old style plasma TVs.

• Lv 7

Not everybody pays .15.

A television doesn't burn much more than $0.50 a day even if you leave it on all day.

• Mr. P

Just make sure it is a LED TV as they don't cost much. Your Xbox plus TV would burn more.

@ Patrick Personal experience shows climate control (a/c and heat) represents 80% of your electric bill.

It costs almost nothing for her to keep her TV on.

• Patrick6 months agoReport

from what orifice did you pull this information, sir?

It depends on the type of TV. Call the manufacturer. Anyhow, when you rent out rooms and include utilities, you should always assume that there will be many appliances left on 24/7 when figuring the price, maybe even music or aquarium equipment. Then again, none of that matters if you've gone beyond fair market price and can't find any tenants.

• Patrick6 months agoReport

It's Sat. afternoon, I am asking the YA community a question, and i get a genius who tells me to call the manufacturer. Ok let me go in her room, turn her TV around and write down the make model and serial number, and then call a 1-800 number and talk to customer service. Use your head.