Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 10 months ago

How do you stop tenants from disconnecting smoke detectors?

I wrote the other day about a previous property manager charging me for smoke detectors & installation. When I viewed both sides of the duplex they are not in there. I wrote to the property management co telling them I will turn this into the Dept of Real Estate if they don't refund my money back for what they took from my rents to pay this bogus bill.

I just received an email from the property manager saying the tenants didn't want the smoke detectors because they kept going off. Does a management company just let tenants decide this? I don't know if smoke detectors were ever in installed with the tenants who didn't want them. I know they were never installed on the other side positively.

This is how this management company is going to try to get out of refunding my money. If they put them in with the tenants that didn't want them, why wouldn't they put them in both sides of the duplex? If the tenants didn't want them, why didn't management contact me telling me this, and why didn't they tell the tenants that's too bad because by law they have to have them? This should be grounds for eviction in my opinion. Tenants cannot decide this!! I would imagine lots of tenants don't care & disconnect them. You can't stay there babysitting them, so how do you control this? So now management will claim they installed the smoke detectors & the tenants took them down.

Property management was told to wire them in. They never installed them at all. Please answer my question about if smoke detectors should be installed on both sides of a duplex. I would logically say yes, what do you think? I know they aren't on the other side. Don't think they were ever on the other side either. Management co. is trying to think up excuses.

Favorite Answer

If the management company installed the smoke detectors and the tenants removed them, then there would still be a mounting brake on the wall or ceiling, or a hole in the wall or ceiling, or some other sign that something had once been installed there, because tenants wouldn't put in the effort to remove all traces.

• Nuff Sed

After 'update': local fire codes in the USA generally do require smoke alarms in residential dwelling units. The local fire marshal can come and inspect, often for no charge, and cite the owners for the violation -- perhaps hundreds of dollars per day - until they comply.

You could wire them with a "tamper" circuit that sets off a separate alarm (like a burglar alarm) if someone attempts to tamper with any of the smoke detectors or smoke alarms.

• Nuff Sed

It may be a crime (or at least an administrative violation) for anyone to violate the fire code.

Property managers are telling you pork pies. Make them to go back and do the install. I agree with the suggestion of photos. These were never disconnected, they were never installed.

They should be on the ceiling just outside bedrooms, not in the kitchen as otherwise they will go off every time the tenant makes toast. I rented a place once with alarms in the kitchen and I had to put little plastic bags over the ceiling mounted hard wired detectors.

• Nuff Sed

Tampering with or disabling a smoke alarm in a rental unit could get you arrested.

There is no way to stop the tenants from doing this short of continually inspecting the place to make sure they didn't, which is not going to happen. Just tell the tenants not to do it and that you'll be happy to work with them to minimize false alarms if they get them but you really can't force them to stop doing it.

The law says that starting April 1, 2019 all businesses must sell smoke detectors that are either a 10-year, sealed, non-removable battery or hardwired detector. ... According to the Clifton Park Fire Department, all smoke detector units, both with and without replaceable batteries should be replaced after 10 yea

• Nuff Sed

First, so what? Second, there is no law that prevents people from continuing to sell and install smoke alarms with replaceable batteries. The 10-year replacement has been an industry standard (and thus "code") for many years.

• Maxi

If you paid for them, then the company can prove they were purchased and futted, as they will have photo proof.... what the tant wants or not in this regard is not their choice to make, it is your...and if the tenant removed them then the tenant was charged for the damage/theft ...regardless of all that the company owe you a refund

The only reason the would keep going off is if there was smoke. Tenants do not get to decide that.

• Nuff Sed

Code doesn't allow smoke alarms installed within a kitchen for that very reason. In fact, national code (NFPA 72) prohibits installation of a smoke alarm within 10 ft of a permanently installed cooking appliance unless "listed for the purpose".

• Teva

Have the smoke detectors wired in so they can't be disconnected easily.

• Nuff Sed

Maybe someone knows that hardwired detectors are typically installed using a connector that can also be "disconnected easily".

It's been a fact since the laws were set about rented premises and smoke detectors.

The tenants have often been negligent in ensuring that the smoke detectors (the battery operated ones) are kept active -- yeah, they do have a tendency to go off for no apparent reason. But insurance will not cover the buildings if the smoke detectors are not there (and they do come down on tenants' contents coverage if the alarms are proved to have been tampered with (or not kept active).

• Nuff Sed

Many parts of the USA do recognize "comparative negligence" as a defense to having to pay the full damages for what could have been avoided by the plaintiff's use of due care.

You should retire from being a long distance landlord.

Source(s): All your previous questions
    • anonymous10 months agoReport

You should retire from hanging out constantly on yahoo answers. I'll do whatever I want. If you can't figure out how to answer my question, then don't comment at all.