Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 4 months ago

Do I have to pay for two plane tickets if I purchase round trip?

I've never flown before and I thought that round trip meant you buy a ticket to your destination and back home from your destination and you only had to pay once. But it seems that I have to pay twice for a way to my destination and a way back from my destination.

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

It's very rare that airlines even offer round trip tickets these days. I remember when they did and you could get things like APEX tickets at a big discount, but that has all gone and the normal thing is you book a flight to go there, another one to come back, and you pay for those two single fares all at once.

So that's what you do - pick a flight to go, another one to come back, and what you pay is for those two added together.

Just out of interest, book online and you don't even get a ticket. When you check in at the airport (or online the day before if the airline offers this - most do), you get a boarding pass and that gets you the rest of the way on to the plane, So they only want to see your ticket at check-in, but now they all have computer terminals at check-in and can look up that you've booked and paid on that, do we need tickets at all? No we don't. So the average big airline stopped doing it years ago and saved a lot of money on paper and printing.

So all you actually get is a confirmation email and I print that out so I can't forget any of the details.

You have the option of buying a roundtrip or two one-way tickets. Most people buy a roundtrip if their dates are firm. I don't always know my return date so i usually buy my outbound flight and then my return when I'm certain.

In the old days, you may have saved a bit buying a roundtrip ticket but that's rarely the case nowadays unless you're buying a vacation package.

If flying domestic, it's no big deal but when flying internationally, many countries won't let you into the country unless you have a ticket out.

Additionally, sometimes flying on two different airlines is more convenient.

• opurt

It's all in how you look at it. You can buy a $1000 round-trip ticket, or a $500 ticket there and a $500 ticket back. It's the same total price either way.

You need to treat the flight booking as if each journey was a single flight, so you would need an outbound flight to your destination and then a return from your destination. this is generally called a round trip, and you would book both flights at the same time, and pay only once for the full trip.

Yes, you have to pay for two tickets, because you are booking two flights. That's what a round trip is. Two flights. One flight to get there, and one to get back. Usually, if you book the two flights at the same time, you pay for both with one payment.

No two tickets mean two people not the feature!

Ticket prices are sometimes quoted as the full round trip price and sometimes each way. When you book a round trip you pay once either way.

• MS

When you book a round-trip ticket, you usually pay one price that includes the cost of both trips (there and back). It will be roughly twice the price (give or take) of a one-way ticket, depending on the specifics of the travel. You should be shown the cost of each trip, but will only pay once - the total of the two trips combined.

Yes, one amount for flight from A to B, and another for a flight from B to A. It's two flights, not one.