Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsReptiles · 10 months ago

How to get rid of a big lizard in the house?

Let me just start by saying this, the reason I am so eager to get rid of this lizard is that my girlfriend is terrified of lizards. In fact, she doesn't like any type of reptile. So I am secretly trying to get him out of the house before she sees him and freaks out.

These past couple weeks I've seen a large lizard in the house, he's about 6 or 7 inches from head to tail. (By the way, this is the biggest lizard we've ever had inside of our home. We live in Texas so typically when we do get lizards they are small baby geckos.) However, I have seen this lizard hanging around my back patio a lot before. But now he is in our house. About two weeks ago we had our floor redone and the workers were working from the back patio. They were constantly leaving the patio door wide open (which is something we never do). So I am assuming that is how he got in.

Anyways, these past two weeks I've been trying to get this lizard out of the house. I'm not sure what kind of lizard he is, he's long and grey and so far has only come out at night, after midnight. He is very loud when he moves and disturbs my sleep. Last night was the last time I saw him. He was on top of my desk climbing on a stack of papers. I tried to chase him down but he ran into the closet. Every time I shine a light at him or run after him he rushes off somewhere and very fast too. Anyways, this morning I searched the entire closet and he was not in there.

So my question is how do I lure this lizard out of my house?

The fact he only comes out after midnight, and he's averse to light, makes me think he's some kind of vampire creature. Probably your only hope is to drive a small wooden stake (like a sharpened chopstick or even a pencil) through his heart.

Catch and release. I tend to use a bucket or piece of Tupperware to catch it. I slide a piece of cardboard underneath the upside down bucket/Tupperware so I can then lift it and flip it upside down to take outside. As a kid, I used to just catch them with my hands, but as an adult, I feel like I would hurt them in doing so.