Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 months ago

felt pretty embarrassed in the gym yesterday for failing a squat. my self-esteem is so low right now?

yesterday i tried to squat 295. my previous PR was 280. im 16 right now. i did a couple of sets in 270. when i tried 295 my quads were so weak. i tried twice and failed twice. people were sneering and laughing at the gym. i stop lifting and just skip squats and went to do other leg workouts.. most embarrassing moment of my life. they probably think i ego lift. need advice to surpass my previous PR

Favorite Answer

Trying to PR after doing a few sets at 95% max was your mistake.

• kirito9 months agoReport

I think same. Rethinking the session i did too much rep near max weight. So my legs were already exhausted. So should i do less set before going for pr?

You do ego lift. You cure all your problems by taking a plate off. You did 280 before, maybe it's only 278 today. It might be 350 next week. Even the most educated and equipped trainer can't predict perfectly how capable your muscles will be day to day and successful training works with what you can do that day, not what you think you should or want to do to fend off sneering and laughing. I say you ego lift because you made it about them, not about you.

Failing is good because you know you're reaching your limits and aiming to surpass them. Sometimes the level at which you surpass won't be as broad as other times. If 280 was your PR, put on 3lb plates and try for 286. When you realize that's too easy, got for 5s, 10s, 25s, another 45, etc. You'll find PRs breaking all over the place when you discover you can lift more than you thought you could. Not when you think you should lift more than you can.

• kirito9 months agoReport

*280. I think my mistake was going 95%weight multiple reps. Before going for pr. So pretty much i was pretty tired.

• zeno

Stop seeking attention or approval and only

Lift moderate amounts of weight for a over

All work out. Don't wear yourself out of hurt

Yourself at the gym. Using too much weight

Puts your bones and joints in danger of breaking

Or a trip to the hospital. If something breaks

And rips a vein or artery you may not make

It to the hospital. I use low pound weights

And do 50 to 100 reps. My workout takes

About an hour and a half. 4 times a week

And I may add a few more exercises so

I build up everything in a balanced fashion.

Not top heavy or bottom heavy. Just balanced

And working efficiently. Like an good athlete

Or quarterback.