Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 6 months ago

Is it bad that femininity makes me uncomfortable?

Not even in a dresses and heels way like seeing girls being cutesy or ultra feminine, posing in lingerie, even the way body positivity is shown in an ultra feminine light makes me uncomfortable when I put myself in that context. People say that I’m a woman and I need to embrace my femininity but I just can’t do it. It makes me cringe. My mom thinks I’m a lesbian (which I’m not... I love men probably more than most straight women do lol) and I’m worried that because I personally reject femininity people are going to look at me like I’m broken or internally misogynistic. I’m not I swear, and I have no problem with girls wanting to be feminine. I’m just not feminine at all. I’m chaotic and funny, I like being strong and taking care of things myself, and I like viewing myself in a masculine light. That’s when I feel most comfortable. Is there something wrong with me because I don’t like femininity? And could anyone ever find me attractive as someone who personally rejects femininity?

• Foofa

"Femininity" doesn't mean what it used to and as clothing styles have become less gender specific fewer and fewer females bother with heels (which we now know cause permanent back problems). You just do you and don't worry about what other people think. As for men...there are more who want a woman willing to mess up her hair surfing, camping and having fun than those who want a high maintenance diva with perfect nails who won't ride in a convertible lest her extensions blow out.

• God

No. That's a good thing.

You sound awesome. 10/10, would totally hang.

As for guys, sure, some of them are drawn to cutesy dainty helplessness — but are those the guys you want to attract? There are plenty of smart, funny, strong men who are drawn to smart, funny, strong women. I don’t know where you are in the country that people are telling you to “embrace your femininity”, but you might want to consider life in New England or the Pacific Northwest where people value fine character traits like yours.

• ?

Thats just the way you are. The work and college scene favors it. I do not think you would have a problem finding somebody. Many men cannot stand femininity, its a luxury they can't afford or put up with. They do not want all your shoes, dresses taking up all the closet space & they do not want to pay your share of living expenses because you spend all your money on girl stuff. They dont want to like your Pomeranian or Chihuahua either. They want you to like their pit bull or lab. They like you going to games with them, camping etc. They also dont want to smooth your anxiety and girl tantrums.