Will 7.62x39 feed from a 5.56 magazine?

Please read my details.

I have a WASR 10 with single stack magazine.

I realize the dremel work.

I have ordered a Zastava PAP M90NP 5.56 adapter to fire 5.56x45.

I want to fire 7.62x39 with an AR magazine.

Will there be a problem? I had an AR chambered for 7.62 and some magazines for 5.56 worked. I have an AR 7.62 magazine somewhere but cannot find it right now. The 7.62x39 and 5.56 appeared to have the same outside dimensions but wondering if someone has done this conversion.

If you are wondering why I want this combination, please ask.

I want this combination because the WASR receiver has no dimple in the receiver to take up side play in the magazine. I am afraid it will wobble. The AR has really good support and I just like the overall appearance better.

Favorite Answer

" I had an AR chambered for 7.62 and some magazines for 5.56 worked. " -- Did you not answer your own question?

Let me make sure I understand what you are asking... First you are planning to convert your Hungarian single stack WASR 10 to a take a double stack magazine. There are instructions to do this all over the interwebs. So instead of buying cheap and reliable AK 7.62x39mm magazines (because they might wobble), you are buying an adapter designed for a Yugoslavian PAP M90 chambered in 5.56x45mm to take AR-15 magazines. And you want to know if you load 7.62x39mm ammo in an AR-15 5.56 mag, if will "work" in your Yugo/Hungarian frankenstein gun despite the fact that neither the feed lips, the follower, and the overall magazine curve were not designed for the 7.62 cartridge.

It might work after a fashion, but would not bet my life on it being reliable with fully loaded magazines. Since you may be the only person in history to try this, I would suggest an experiment with three test cases after you mod your WASR:

1. AK magazine (take your pick from the highest rated https://gunmagwarehouse.com/all-magazines/rifles/a...

2. Adapter + AR-15 7.62 magazine (https://gunmagwarehouse.com/asc-7-62x39-ar-15-30-r...

3. Adapter + AR-15 5.56 magazine.

Then you tell us!

• BRANDO4 months agoReport

They do have 7.62 AR magazines that are straight to fit into the magazine well then the typical curve begins. I do not go over 20 rounds in most magazines.

Most likely not.

• BRANDO4 months agoReport

Most likely will.https://www.primaryarms.com/rze-unimag-multi-caliber-magazine-gen-2

What???????????????????????????????????????????? I can hardly believe anybody would ask such a thing. Does 5.56 even come close to 7.62?

• BRANDO4 months agoReport

You can start believing it because they will.https://www.primaryarms.com/rze-unimag-multi-caliber-magazine-gen-2

USAFisnumber1 is making up sh*t again. Please go away!

5.56 vs 7.62. Those are WIDTH measurements. One is about ONE FIFTH of an inch...the other is about ONE THIRD of an inch. Do you think you can fit something that is ONE THIRD of an inch into a slot designed for something that is ONE FIFTH of an inch? I will make it easier, can you fit a FIVE INCH WIDE book into a slot that is THREE INCHES WIDE? No? Well DUH....

• BBean

I take it they either do not teach fractions in school now days or if they do....they surely do not elaborate on them as in my days.

I don't think the mag angle is right for that. You can probably make them fit but you'd be risking a lot of binding issues in the mag

• BRANDO4 months agoReport

Thanks for the input. I am depending on the adapter to position the magazine at the correct centerline and level. Yes i do expect some problem may occur,(as usual) but am going to try this.If my idea does not work then i will dremel to fit the double stack AK magazine which has been done many times.