Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 10 months ago

How to persuade my mother into buying me a hamster?

You see, for a long time she thinks hamsters are like rats. She thinks they can call rats and lots of them will get into the house.

THIS IS MY MOM!! ok not literally, but I've been wanting a hamster for about 3 and a half years. I've done so much research and know everything about them. I'm a responsible 13 year old with dogs. My mother think they carry diseases and thinks they are rats and she thinks rats carry bugs. She also said the smell horrible even though she has never had a hamster or been near one. I've explained to her about spot cleaning which is just cleaning everyday where your hamster goes to the restroom and not having to clean everywhere (like if you know he/she poops next the wheel only have to clean that) so sorry for my rant, I needed to get if out of my system but just show that you are ready. earn your money to buy a good size tanks or bin. DONT BUY A HAMSTER CAGE THEY ARE CRUEL!!! and have everything planed out like a responsible future-hamster-owner :)

• Amber

Your not entitled to one. If your Mother said No, then respect it's a no.

• J C

Your mom said NO. And that means exactly that. You need to have a calm and mature discussion with her - and that means no whining or crying, and allowing her to speak her mind. Hamsters are nice little pets, but their cages are expensive, and they need daily maintenance (removing the soiled litter with pee and poo) and a good weekly cleaning. Arm yourself with the facts, and discuss them with your mom. Also factored in there is just who is going to pay for all of this? Go online and get cage prices - suitable ones, not the tiny things sold as hamster cages. And in the end, if she still says no, ask her what pets would be acceptable to her. There are other nice little pets in the world other than rodents.

Your mom siad NO and that means no and not whine and cry for one.

They need a LARGE cage and I mean large, way larger then your mother will want and they do bite, they smell and need a lot of care

• Nathan

*9 months on my hamsters (who never lived together), one of whom needed medical care. Their cages cost: £90, £50 and £75 and they were second hand. All hamsters are bred in mills, even in pet shops so they're prone to so many diseases and illnesses. As is every other small animal in a pet shop.