arnie asked in SportsFootball (American) · 11 months ago

Too late to join football? senior?

I’m a senior i’m 6’2 200 lbs, i’m a senior and our football team has already played 2 scrimmages. I already have weight lifting with the school and i’ve had it for 3 years. I’ve played when I was little but i just want to play so bad now. I know a couple of the coaches but i don’t really know much about football but it’s always something i wanted to do so i could learn the game. I play golf and i’m really good at it and i’m probably going to get a scholarship but playing football is something i’ve always wanted to do. I’m thinking about asking the coach monday, what do you guys think?

Favorite Answer

I think you should give it a try. What good is life if you don't live it?

• arnie11 months agoReport

He wouldn’t let me but thanks.

Go for it man! Your lack of experience won’t help but if you only want to do it for fun then nothing’s stopping you

• Cu Tie

I highly encourage you to join your high school football team this season. It will still not (yet) be too late for you to start playing football again.

Based on your height and weight, as well as the fact that you play golf, I believe that the best fit for you is at quarterback. You have the ideal size for a high school senior quarterback.

My best advice for you is to work hard and perform very well in practice every day. In addition, what you need to do this autumn is eat healthy, exercise by doing weight lifting, and either jogging or going for a long run every day. If you do these things, you will get faster, stronger, and into better shape, which will greatly improve your chances of being a successful, top notch quarterback in high school football this season, who could go on to play college football.

By the way, your chances of getting a scholarship to play college football depend on your performance in football during your senior year of high school. If you perform very well in football this season, you will greatly improve your chances of getting a scholarship to play college football next season.

• Bob

You can ask the coach if you want to, he may let you try out for the team and he may not,but you have nothing to lose by asking him.

• You've never played organized football and you think that you can show up after the most intensive part of pre-season practice and have a go. This is like never having played golf but really wanting to play and thinking you could be on the team. You could have chosen to show up on the first day of practice, but you chose to wait.

There's being in physical shape, and then there's physical shape for playing a collision sport. Two different things. Prediction: you're going to find that trying to tackle someone (or be tackled) isn't going to be your thing. It's going to hurt. A lot. You're not going to like coaches barking orders. Running with 15-20 pounds of equipment is going to suck. Your teammates are going to chew you up and spit you out. While they were sweating through 2-a-day practices you were screwing around- you bailed out because you knew you couldn't hack it.

Suggestion: stick to golf.

• arnie11 months agoReport

And this is why I have never played, because my golf season would end around this time.

never live your dreams

You can ask, but expect the guys who've been there all along to be way ahead of you -- if the coach even lets you join.

• y

Never hurts to ask but you have already missed a lot of the conditioning crap. Don't expect to play a lot.

It can't hurt to ask, but don't expect too much.

• .

Most fall sports have a summer workout schedule. Without having played before, your chances are slim. But there are exceptions. When my son was in high school, one of his soccer teammates walked on to the football team late and became the starting field goal kicker.

The coach had him kick about 15 times and when it was clear that he always hit at 40 yards or less, he got the job.