Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesBMW · 3 months ago

Will i need to have snow tires on a bmw 325i e46?

Im thinking of buying a bmw e46. I have seen some nice ones under $5000. But i noticed the ix models are quite rare and i heard they have more problems. But since the e46 325i is rear wheel drive will i need snow tires in the winter?

• F

They are useful but no use if the person in front of you (without winter tyres) blocks the road which tends to happen in even moderatly hilly areas.

Yes you will. RWD sucks in the snow

• Dimo

I started driving in Detroit, in Fall of 1962. My car was a rear wheel drive car, a 1953 Dodge. My tire was American Eagles -- bald. Hell, some had cords showing; I carried three spares in the trunk.

I learned how to drive gently, to stop within the distance/speed to not crash, to not slide around.

I would have NO PROBLEM with any vehicle.

It you are not capable of learning how to drive safely, NOTHING will be safe.

• F

I'm sure you're a brilliant driver, but you're still bound by the laws of physics. There's a limit to what angle of slope you can get up in ice and snow with bald tyres.

• JetDoc

We have no idea where you live, so we can't know what sort of winter weather conditions you are likely to be driving in, but for MOST of the USA, where they have snow plows to maintain the streets, a good set of all-weather tires should be adequate for MOST driving situations you are likely to encounter.

you might need them

You will always need snow tires in the winter.

Normal tires are made of hard rubber. Tires sold in the southern US are made from still harder rubber. Hard rubber lasts a ton longer than softer rubber - but - hard rubber will get you killed in winter driving around snow and ice. In winter you want soft tires that will grip the road like Blizzaks or clones of them. You can also have snow tires 'sipped' here cuts are made in the threads to let them grip more.

I live in Alaska. Just south of Fairbanks in the interior. My 4x4 big F-250 has studded snow tires and 1,000lb of sand bags in the bed. It will go anywhere, anytime, no matter what ice or snow storm is happening. However I don't drive that thing much at all due to the lousy gas mileage - my daily commute vehicle has 4 non-studded Blizzak tires and three 100lb lead ingots in the back. Even with 2 wheel drive you want 4 snow tires. The ones in the back with extra weight get you moving. The ones in the front with the engine weight are what allow you to turn and brake.

Consider this. Your snow tires need to be thin. This lets them toss snow out of the way, dig down, and get traction on the road. Wide tires will make your vehicle sit on top of the snow and just spin! On both the truck and car I went with the tallest, skinniest tires that would fit with no trouble. These will also be the most affordable ones since wider is usually more expansive.

Pay attention to your rims. If your car has nice lightweight rims for better gas mileage - you don't want to run them in the winter. Here, buying a cheapo-set of heavy steel rims is what you want - they will take the beating is you slide into a curb. The added weight is helpful. And having summer tires on pretty rims and winter tires on heavy ugly ones - you will be able to swap them all by yourself and not have to wait half day to have them mounted and balanced every fall and spring.

If you decide to put weight in the back - I suggest buying bags of sand or pea gravel - this way if you do get stuck.... you have plenty of sand and some gravel handy to get you unstuck!!

• audrey

Depends on where you live, but more Than likely yes.