MARIE S asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 11 months ago

What happens when a judgment is put against you?

My husband has a judgment against him and no income. The only income we have is my long term disability check. Can I get garnished? Can creditors go into my bank account?

If your money goes into a joint account with your husband they can take it. If it's YOUR account they can't.

Hello

They can only collect after a judgment by the courts.

They cannot get anything that has only your name on it but if his name is attached then yes..

Best

you should really ask a lawyer and do it very quickly because they can go after your bank account they can go after your car they can go after your house don't wait until they issue so kind of other action besides the judgment. Talk to a lawyer immediately. And see what to do

The debtor has the right to collect. If you have income he can attach it, if not he can place a lien on anything your own.

They cannot go get anything that has only your name on it, no.

It means if he ever has a real paycheck or assets they can come after them easier. If he has neither, it pretty much means he is judgement proof.

Disability benefits can be garnished for child support or student loans. If it is any other type of debt, then social security disability checks should be safe.

They definitely can go after a bank account. However, you refer to it with the word "my", not "our". Is this a joint bank account with both names or is it only yours and not his? Also, do you live in a community property state or not? I'm not sure of the exact circumstances so I don't know about this bank account.

Is it a private LTD plan and not SSDI?

Are you in a community property state?

Were you married when the debt occurred?

Do you have a joint account?

i would go talk to a lawyer about it

• .

Judgments give debt collectors much stronger tools to collect the debt from your husband. Those tools can include wage or bank account garnishments, as well as putting on a lien on your home. Disability payments can only be taken to pay for:

1. Child or spousal support

2. Unpaid Federal taxes

3. Debts to other federal agencies such as an over-payment of food stamps or defaulted student loans

• A Hunch

There is a difference between SSDI and LTD.