should people be allowed to defend themselves when being arrested?

sometimes cops arrest people for stupid reasons so should people be allowed to defend themselves when being arrested?

"defend themselves" as in represent themselves in court? Yes.

"defend themselves" as in fight back and resist arrest? No.

If one is or is not guilty, there are still procedures that are necessary for the police to conduct, so cooperation is key in order to get through a false arrest and subsequent release or an arrest that needs to be defended in a court of law.

Depends. Are cops actively Shooting at you, you are unarmed? In this case, I'd take a chance.

If a normal, Legal arrest, just cuffed and read rights, charge, no, I wouldn't resist. Time enough to fight it in court. Any resistance, avoidance of an arrest doesn't look good, later. Any excess force while you are not resisting , recorded on cop's' body cams, is actually in your favor.

Don't even verbally resist . Ok to give name, DOB, maybe say you Didn't do it; but don't discuss it further. Anything U say Will be used against you. Even what you Don't say. Cops sidestep, change your words. I've seen "carotid" substituted for "radial". In the days where they didn't wear body cams.

If you’re talking about verbally, sometimes you can ask for the cop’s supervisor to come and the supervisor might let you dip. But sometimes that doesn’t work, I have had it work both ways myself. Sometimes the supervisor will side with the cop even if the cop is clearly wrong. If you’re talking about physically resisting arrest because you feel justified in defending yourself as u say, yeah you could try, but you’re likely to get in a lot of trouble. Or potentially shot. I’ve seen it happen in real life once or twice. Some steroid-taking, adrenaline junky, trigger-happy (racist?) cowboy cop pops a cap

in your butt just because he can. In general if you get falsely arrested by a cop and you go to trial with a cop-suing lawyer you pay a retainer to, and you’re acquitted on the basis of false arrest, You might get some $$$ but it’s a crapshoot and cops are famous for lying under oath. If you Google the top professions that psychopaths go into “police officer” is always one of them.

• John

What are you protecting yourself from? The law is your friend learn it breath it live it.

You carry the law with you for you vote to protect and defend the law for you are your country and your country is you, is it not?

If you feel a need to defend yourself against your country I have no qalms in telling you...

YOU BASTARDS OWE ME AT LEAST A HUNDRED GRAND.

You sit there whining about cops picking you up and lie that its a 'problem'. You Saudi loving greasy liars deserve what you get.

You get shot tough. You deserve it.

Goddamn thieves.

When you are being arrested, by law you must comply, relent, and surrender!

No. Think carefully about why that is a crazy idea.

My suggestion to you is to cooperate with police orders for their safety and yours. However, say only that you do not wish to answer any questions beyond your name and birth date, refuse to consent to any searches and say nothing else beyond that to them other than "I want a lawyer".

Unless you are prepared to spend additional time in jail I'd strongly suggest that you cooperate with the officer.

maybe but you might make the situation worse

Not during the arrest, but afterwards, yes. And you are allowed to do so or if the arrest is invalid you have the option to sue for false arrest. The system is functional if you know how to work it. To suggest that you be allowed to argue your case to the Police suggests you wish the police to serve as judge and jury, and trust me … that wouldn't end well for you or anyone.

• Ann

Sure and then your mother will tell the world what a "good boy" you really were as she makes plans for your funeral. No one says you "aren't allowed" to fight back, but there are consequences to your actions.