Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 11 months ago

Should I take Calculus 2 as a senior? HELP!!?

I’m currently a sophomore in precalculus and my buddy dropped out to take algebra 2 instead. He did this because next year we would be obligated to take AP Calculus AB as juniors (our school doesn’t have BC) and then AP Statisitcs senior year. Him and his counselor claim AP statistics is useless for the medical field (we wanna get health majors).

However, to my knowledge, AP Calculus AB only covers Calculus 1. If I take Calculus 2 at my local community college, would that be of worth? I’m assuming yes, because I get college credit without even taking the AP test right?

Also, would I be saving money if I go to a university straight after highschool and transfer the credits from Calculus 2? What would the class be like? (one senior said it’s around a 3 hour class, but I don’t think that’s everyday). Also, share any extra info PLEASE. Whoever can answer all my questions will get best answer THANK YOU.

Favorite Answer

First of all, AP Stats is absolutely helpful for a pre-med major. Most bio, chem, etc. programs require a statistics class, sometimes two, and AP would fill the requirement for the intro level class.

If you aren't sure, look at the requirements of a few colleges around you that you might be considering. But I bet they include a Statistics course.

However, Calc II is also very useful and usually required as well. Yes, taking it at a local community college would be functionally the same as taking it at your high school as far as credits go. The credits will transfer and you will not need to take the class again. Community college classes are much cheaper than university classes, although typically much more expensive than an AP exam.

The class' structure depends on the college, but most college math classes are held 2-3 times a week (usually Monday, Wednesday, Friday or some other set of days of the week). The average college class requires you to be in class for 3-4 hours a week total, so many classes are 1.5 hours for two meetings a week and then 1 hour on a Friday. Alternatively, they may have two 2 hour sessions each week or even one 3 hour session one day a week. If you look up the course catalog of the community college, and search for the equivalent class that is being offered this fall, then it should have that information in the course listing.

College classes typically expect you to spend 2 hours outside of class for every 1 hour in class doing homework and studying for tests. So if the class is 4 hours a week, you should plan out 8 more hours for homework for it. Community colleges are sometimes a little less than that, but that's the average.

Do keep in mind that college courses only run for a semester, not a full year. So you should have something else planned for the other semester. On the other hand, you could plan to not take a math at all in the fall to have more time for your college applications, and then take the Calc II class in the spring when your applications are done.

i would if thats what you want to do

If that’s what you want to do. You don’t have to do sometime just because your buddy did. It’s between you and your parents.

I can't imagine why anyone would say that statistics is useless for the medical field! Being a doctor is all about being able to read medical research and understanding the statistical methods used.

Anyway, a 3 hour class in college means that it meets for a total of 3 hours a week- either three one-hour sessions, or two 1 1/2 hours sessions, usually. But you won't be required to take calculus 2 as a pre-med major. That's only useful for engineers.