Why did my ex dump me, change his number, only to come to my job then tell me he doesn't want me near him?

This is a long complicated story but I'm gonna try to be short. My ex is SEVERELY mentally ill with PTSD and IED. After a year and a half of me putting up with his abuse, I kept urging him to therapy. After our final breakup ( 2 months ago) he exploded at me for nothing ( as usual) because he is not in... show more This is a long complicated story but I'm gonna try to be short. My ex is SEVERELY mentally ill with PTSD and IED. After a year and a half of me putting up with his abuse, I kept urging him to therapy. After our final breakup ( 2 months ago) he exploded at me for nothing ( as usual) because he is not in treatment for his disabilities and he literally explodes if he " thinks" I give him a weird glance or anything he imagines that doesn't actually happen. Anyway, he is homeless and he can't hold a job because he explodes at them and quits after a week . He lives in his van. I have tried MY BEST to help and love him and get him into therapy....but he just wouldn't. So, he drives off during the last argument, demonizing me because he claims I gave him a rude look when I didn't. He changes his phone number so I can't get in touch with him. I'm trying to reach him and look for him for weeks thinking the worst that he is dead or that he killed himself ( which he has tried in the past). I can't call the police because he lives here illegally. It's a mess but I'm the only one he has. He literally as no one else. No family, no friends. Today after almost 6 weeks he magically shows up at my job ( a bar which is where I met him) only to hide in the back, avoiding me completely. I finally corner him telling him how he completely had me crying/ freaking out the last six weeks thinking he was dead. He's like, I don't wanna talk to you. I'm like, ok....why are you here then??