Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicOther - Entertainment · 12 months ago

Is it okay for a parent to take their adult childs tax returns without them knowing if said child is living there rent free?

Nope. Not at all.

Yes, if you let it happen. I have a friend who works hard for his money at a warehouse type job and he told me his mom demands he gives most of his money to her. I told him to stop letting his mom take his money but he says he doesn't know how to tell her to stop. Then he told me again after a couple months that his mom is still doing the same thing. I told him to stop letting it happen. But at that point I realized he wasn't really asking for advice. He was talking about his life to me. For me to keep telling him what to do started to feel out of place. Its his money, not mines. So why does he keep talking to me about it? Does he want me to do something about it? I have no idea. I think this is something he has to figure out himself because I can't tell him what to do. Some people just ask questions to ask them, sometimes it's like therapy to vent their problems by asking somebody and not really expecting a possible answer. Its selfish. I think you know what you like and dislike.

• chorle

No, I also think it is unlikely to happen because the return should have been sent Direct Deposit to the child's bank account.

I don't know what the agreement is.

• Kathy

It is nor okay for the parent to take the tax return without asking. That is the same as stealing.

Isn’t that illegal

• Sandy

no it's theft and you would be well advised to get Lifelock or some other kind of protection. they could steal your identity and your tax refund. it's been known to happen, desperate parents stealing their children's identity and ruining their credit and their future.

• Robert

It is not. You can probably file a complaint and go to court and recover the money. I imagine it is a sizable amount if you are willing to give up your rent free room and board You are justified to be miffed, but I imagine there is a larger underlying reason your parents took the money. You probably are immature, wasteful and probably give no assistance to the parents for your upkeep. While technically you are totally correct in wanting your money back, I'm guessing that morally you are a schmuck. .

No, it's stealing if you do that.

No. And it's possibly illegal.