Nia asked in Arts & HumanitiesPoetry · 4 months ago

I have to find exaples of Kenning, Alliteration, and Caesura in this poem?

I have learned that something grows in the corner, swells and expands, has a covering; on that boneless thing a woman grasps around with hands, with a garment the lord s daughter covered that swollen thing.

I have to find exaples of Kenning, Alliteration, and Caesura in this poem

• Tina

BB is quite right - as soon as you know what a kenning etc is you will easily be able to find them.

I feel I should point out that this is a riddle from the Anglo Saxon Exeter Book, and an Old English joke - it sounds as if the solution to the riddle will be rude, but in fact it's bread dough which a young lady has set in a corner to prove, covered with a cloth...

If you don't know what any of those words means, look them up. There is no point in trying to find examples of them if you don't know what they are.

Once you DO know, you shouldn't have too much difficulty.

• Roger

"grows" "grasps" and "garment" = alliteration

the pause between "expands" and "has" (if this is all one line) = caesura

I think this whole poem is a kenning. The "thing" that swells and expands, with a covering, and that is "boneless" under a garment, is the penis of man sitting in the corner of a room.

• Tina

No - this is one of several riddles in the Anglo Saxon Exeter Book which sound as if they have a rude solution, but are in fact quit innocent - the swollen thing is bread dough
      This is an Old English joke.