Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 11 months ago

Are employers really in the best position to offer advice on work-life balance? Why or why not?

• Piero

Employers are biased toward profit and productivity.You, your well being, and the welfare of your family are quite low on their priorities. Most of the time employees are considered expendable. Note how they limit the amount of coverage you can get from health insurance, if they let you have any at all. Same with retirement programs. Every few years, they will take a bankruptcy and take your retirement, or they will make retirement virtually impossible.

no

in the end the work life balance they want is a balance that tilts in their favour, which is the whole reason as to why work life balance is a concern to most people

Source(s): nothing

Not, because they are not impartial, they are biased. It is as if you asked butchers about animal liberation.

Most management started at the bottom like you and worked their way up.

• Robert

Most employers want rested, healthy, and well balanced employees because they do a better job during the work week. You might think employers might manipulate advice to make you work more, but in the grand scheme, they know a happy employee is a productive employee. A happy work force is good for the company and the reputation of the company makes it easy to attract new workers during times of expansion. They really do have employees (and their own secondly) best interests at heart

• Piero

Most employers agitate to prevent the workers from organizing! An unhappy employee is easier to lead into spying on his peers. Few management people like smiling and/or happy employees. There are college courses and books telling how to agitate, legally. Robert, get out of your bubble!!!

depends on the employer, theyre all different

?? I always felt I decided my work-life balance. I put in my 40 hrs @ work. I was on the night shift 6:30 pm - 3:30 am. The rest of the time was my own. And I decided what to do with it. How would my employer be involved??

• not

As an employer I strive to have a better work/life balance and would like my crew to do the same. However, nobody I ever worked for had the same desire. So like many things it depends on the person.

• Benny

No, it's all empty words; they want you to work as much as possible.

Yes, because

a) if they're in an employment position, then they've got more successful work experience than others, and

b) they are in a position to be able to negotiate hours. If you are having trouble with your current balance, they are in a position to adjust your hours to help.