FartboyMD asked in HealthOther - Health · 9 months ago

How can a body function be voluntary?

Unlike talking, laughing, crying, screaming, clapping, stomping, smiling and frowning, body functions are something you can’t physically do anytime you like.

Favorite Answer

Some body functions are voluntary (usually functions that are associated with muscle movements).

Some body functions are involuntary (hiccups, breathing, heartbeat, etc)

• Andy C

Trade bodies with me and find out. Just after the coma and respirator was over, I had to remember to breathe for about 9mo.

Now, think digestion.

Sound like fun?

• Benny

You can choose to burp or fart, or you can hold it in. Therefore, these actions can be voluntary. Also, actors can voluntarily make themselves cry.

• FartboyMD9 months agoReport

The only thing that makes farts or burps voluntary is eating or drinking foods that cause you to burp or fart.

• Will

I might be splitting hairs, but in a way, you can send the message to your brain to start the bodily waste removal process by walking into a bathroom. You might not have felt like you had to go to the bathroom, but surely you have walked into a bathroom for a purpose other than urinating or crapping and then had to do so. The brain affiliates the toilet with the bodily waste removal process and the sight of the toilet can trigger the brain to make you need to go to the bathroom. I guess you can consider this to be a voluntary body function if you intentionally entered the bathroom in an attempt to get the urge to do a 1 or 2. Usually it will trigger an urge to urinate just because there is always urine in the bladder that can be discharged. Again, I am splitting hairs, but here's an answer that you probably would never have thought about.

• Andy C

This is all correct.