Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

Will dog wee effect our decking?

We just decked and turfed our backyard (dogs definitely not allowed to pee on the turfs, at least for the moment) but can we let him out to go to the toilet on the deck? It’s treated wood but I don’t know the effect of dog urine

Favorite Answer

Of course it will unless the wood is heavily treated so nothing can soak in. Perhaps you should have turfed part of your back yard, leaving somewhere for the dog to pee (mud?) and then do the rest. When we moved into a new home, with no outside grass immediately, we had an enclosed area covered with straw temporarily for the dogs to use. It was far from ideal but it served the purpose until everything was up and running.

probably will, their pee is strong

Yes, it will AFFECT your decking - don't be ridiculous! Turfing a yard is a very expensive way to go; versus SEEDING a "fall" cool season grass. I NEVER put down "Turf" or much (if any) valuable grass in my fenced backyard - which is FOR the dogs. Crabgrass or other ground covers are my FRIEND (& theirs) aside from major portions which contain NATURAL (leafy) or mulched areas.

I suggest you EFFECT a change in your landscaping plan, or plan to WATER over.... any urination on the newly placed turf..

Affect. Not effect. And yes.