Why do women nowadays get so offended when you call them ma’am?

Wasn’t it originally intended to be a form of respect?

• Lita

Not all do. I'm a woman. I don't care if I get called Ma'am. I do realize it's a term of respect.

Judge Judy LOVES IT. ;-)

Ma'am is an outdated term nowadays.

And it makes the person look outdated too.

Use Miss for younger women and Mrs. for middle aged / older ladies to be on the safe side.

Because people try to find offense in everything these days. Just keep using it if you want. If you use "Miss", then they'll get upset that you used that word, too.

• edward

That is why i always use the term “Miss” never “Ma’am”. The latter indicates older women. Which is the reason i don’t ever use it

• bluebellbkk

Only then you get older women saying "How dare that young whippersnapper call me 'miss' when I'm a mature respectable married woman who ought to be called 'Ma'am!'" Just saying.

It is said that the sweetest sound to a person's ears is his or her name. That is the safest way to address someone. If you are meeting them for the first time, simply say, "Hi. My name is (so-and-so). And yours is?"

• bluebellbkk

Yes, obviously. But that's not what this question is about. It's about a shop assistant speaking to a customer, or someone in the street trying to attract a woman's attention to tell her she's dropped her scarf.

Not all women.

In some parts of the US it's traditional to call any adult woman "ma'am", and nobody blinks; in other parts it's NOT customary, and women get in a tizz because they think you think they're old.

Sane reasonable women understand that you're simply being polite.

cause they think you think theyre old

Probably because they think they're too young to be called "ma'am." Try calling them "miss."

Feminism has gone too far, they will consider Madame, and Mrs and Ms as offensive too soon

• bluebellbkk

@SteveH: calling someone 'Madame' is extremely polite. A 'madam' of a house of prostitutes isn't addressed as 'madam'; it's more like a job title: 'What does that woman do?' 'Oh, she's the madam in that house on the corner.'