Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 5 months ago

PC randomly just shuts itself off, I bought a new CPU fan and its still doing it?

just randomly every so often off restart and then it works again no problem right away, I think if I have too much going on like a game and music and something else it goes off more , but even goes off when its not so busy with processes

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Disconnect the CPU heatsink ang apply thermal paste. Replace the heatsink and the fan. Try it if it works.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

most likely a "setting" when it does not see keyboard activity or mouse activity it will shut down to save power. Where that setting is, I can't say. Been there once and then forgot how I got there and don't care...mainly because mine does not do that so why fvck up a good thing?

• 5 months ago

How big is the CPU that you are using? Also if you bought a new fan did you install it correctly? By that I mean did you also place Heat Transfer compound directly onto the CPU before installing the fan? That could be your issue right there.

• 5 months ago

ldknvlkdsnm;lsdm;flkms;lfm;lmvnlkdsnmv;lkds

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

It is either the CPU or the power supply causing this

• 5 months ago

Did you remove the old thermal compound and reinstall the CPU fan with new thermal compound?

• 5 months ago

This is typically a problem with a bad battery in conjunction with power saver settings. I would look at running tests with and without the battery, if your system can operate without the battery, and to try changing power settings on everything to performance and/or "to never shut off." Good luck! If this works, it's likely just a bad battery.

• 5 months ago

In my experience:

- intermittent power supply fault

- intermittent mother board fault

I'm pretty sure that AMOUNT of RAM is not the problem (because of virtual RAM, a staple of any OS associated with a hard disk).

It might be that you have faulty RAM.

Try Prime95 (freeware) to "stress test" your system (RAM and CPU).

• 5 months ago

search internet for free utility that reports the cpu and gpu temperatures {try cnet.com/downloads} ... install this/these and pay attention to the temps reported every five minutes while under heavy load.

if either approaches even 80 degrees [C] before your computer reboots, the likely problem is that component is overheating. Look into the fan and thermal compound.

next idea: add another $10 case fan, directing the air outward. All that heat generated has to go somewhere.

If neither of these seems to be the problem, you may have a motherboard that is dying. And it will take a technician to figure out what the problem is ... could be anything not easy to find such as overheating power supply, bad memory stick, motherboard, or even a software [windows] problem

Source(s): grampa
  • 5 months ago

Could also be your power supply, had a similar issue.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.