Is 149k miles too many for a 1985 BMW 735i?

I’m wanting to buy this car from someone for $1500 and I want to know if it’s worth buying it or if I should look somewhere else. If you have any advice or suggestions, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

• Nancy
    Favorite Answer

A 35-year-old car, because the 1985 model was actually built in 1984, with 149K miles on it isn't going to be reliable. It might be a great project car, a hobby car that you can tinker with and fix up, but to get you from A to B on a day-to-day basis, you should look elsewhere and spend that $1,500 on something else.

I mean, do you have any idea how expensive it will be to repair a 35-year-old BMW? BMWs are massively expensive to fix, and a 35-year-old one is going to be even more massively expensive, and that's if you or your mechanic can even find the parts you need, which will in all likelihood involve going to junk yards and trying to find an unbroken or unworn part on another one that's been junked.

Also, in the 70's and 80's, cars were only good for about 100,000 miles. Cars were almost always junked by 150,000 miles. Technology has come a long, long way since then such that we now see cars doing 250,000 and 350,000 miles on their first engine and transmission and without needing a complete overhaul. So, a 1985 BMW with a 149,000 miles on it, even if it weren't 2019 and 35 years old, it would be maxed out on miles, on its last wheel, as it were. Say it's not 2019 right now. Say it's 1994. In 1994, there's no way in hell I would have paid $1,500 for a Bimmer with 149,000 miles, not even a 735i.

Source(s): owned a 1991 BMW 325xi and a 1974 BMW 2002tii

Contrary to popular belief it's not as expensive to repair as people think. However, it's still not practical to use as a daily driver. It's a great 2nd hobby vehicle. If and only if the vehicle has had proper maintenance those engines will last well over 500k. The auto transmissions were a weak link. Always stick with OEM replacement parts, avoiding aftermarket junk. I worked for BMW for 10yrs & am very familiar with that era of their vehicles. I have a 85 635csi w/125k & it's no more costly to maintain/repair than my 87 Grand National, 69 GTO, or 80 Corvette.

Why is it being sold for $1500? This car is a money pit

Any 7 series BMW that is out of warranty will be a money pit. I've seen more than one person decide it was cheaper to sell their 7 series (a 728 and a 740) for parts rather than repair them, both cars were only 10 years old and were amazing vehicles. Sad really.

• Bob

Buying a bmw with 149k is asking for lots of expensive repair bills. if you just need a cheaper, reliable car to get from point a to point b then aim for something like a toyota corolla, honda civic, mazda, etc.