Anonymous

What's the best way to lead one's life?

My parents want me to have a stable-career

like computer support technician, but I want

to have a fun job like floral-design or barista

at Coffee Bean.

Honestly, how is that supposed to work?

• Favorite Answer

Floral designers and baristas usually make around minimum wage. You will need at least 2-3 of those jobs to support your self. You should also go to floral design if you've never worked with flowers / plants before. I was a florist (part time) for a few years in a larger city and I never saw more then 300 dollars in my bank account when I got payed. Those jobs can be hard work too, they're not fun all the time. You don't know what goes on behind the scenes, to keep flower shops and coffee shops running. Most parents want their children to do better then they did in life. They want you to have a decent paying job so you can support your self and become successful with some thing. The don't want you coming back to them 20 years later to live with them because you're broke.

Personally, I went to school to enter the medical field and ended up going into the film industry instead. It was a calculated move and thats what you need to do.

You have to plan a minimum of 5 years into the future regarding your future. If you're an 18 year old, I dont see why going to college and working part time as a floral-designer or barista at Coffee Bean part time to see how things go.

One thing that I learned pretty early on is that changing careers not uncommon but you have to think about stability.

Nobody is going to hire you and pay you much to arrange flowers, and there isn't much call for it either. Don't expect much pay. Anyone can be a bartender. It doesn't take much to learn (can learn on the job) how to throw a few drinks together. The common drinks are ordered all the time. Neither of those jobs are career-type jobs. They are just jobs, no brainer jobs, although floral arrangement takes a good eye and experience helps to do a good job at it. Most parents want their children to do well in life and to have a stable career, not some fly by night no brainer job, where you are expendable and easily replaced. Consider other options.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Judy

Move out and support yourself, and they won't be able to complain. As a side benefit, you won't have time to post this spam so much.

It was ever thus. Yes, your parents want to see you making a decent salary, living in a decent place, having a stable life. I've had so many students whose parents were like that- and with the best reasons in the world. But you have to do what makes you happy. You just have to make sure that doing that doesn't mean that you're financially dependent on your parents the rest of your life. If you have creativity, you could make a good career out of floral design. Start with a florist shop and learn the basics and then open your own business. There's not much of a career path for a barista, but you could do that while you study design.

florist and barista have babkus for salary

Get in front of it, rather than just follow the course of the life's rut.

Join the military and work as a chef or something, it’s a stable career and they have jobs like that available

• Nancy

Actually, unless you've got some developmental disability or something, all of those career aspirations are lackluster.

You reach 18 years old and you're an adult capable of making your own life decisions. That's how it's supposed to work.