Anonymous

can a job fire you after you put your two weeks notice? / should your last check be provided on the day your employer fires you?

I put my 2 weeks in at my job yesterday and I told them that I would still work the shifts I had for those last 2 weeks. I was scheduled to work today so as usual I got ready and left my house early before my shift started. I got a call just as I parked my car into the parking lot of where I work and it was my manager informing me that my resignation had been received and that I wouldn’t be needed to work the shifts I had been scheduled for, she also included that my check would be ready by Monday for me to pick up. I don’t know how the whole resignation/firing process fully works but people are telling me that they should’ve provided my check right then and there! this was my first job and I don’t the nearest clue of what to do next?

• zipper

Yes they can firer you and no you get the pay check on the normal pay day.

• Eva

They are not required to provide your check immediately. They can wait until the next scheduled pay day. Most states are "at will" employers so they can fire you for any or no reason. It's not uncommon to be told not to come in once you've given your resignation. You haven't been fired though, as you submitted your resignation first.

You were not fired. Your two weeks' notice gives them the OPTION to work you for those two weeks, or not. Your resignation was accepted and they chose to make do with the employees they have until they find your replacement. You should not expect your last paycheck when you leave. Payroll is run as usual and your check will be cut on the next payroll day. Running payroll for one person would be very costly and ridiculous. No employer in his right mind would do that.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Judy

Of course they can. When you get your last check depends on where you live. see https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/b...

A lot of employers now don't let an employee continue to work after they've resigned. There have been too many problems with employees sabotaging equipment or doing something with the idea that they're going anyway, so why not? You weren't fired- you just weren't allowed to work after you resigned. There's no reputable company that can cut you a check then and there. It's take a few days to process

< but people are telling me that they should’ve provided my check right then >

Depends on the laws where you live

https://www.patriotsoftware.com/payroll/training/b...

If you live outside the US, you'll need to do some searching.

of course they can not provide your check right then and there. your working hours should be process by payroll department, u will get it when u re next due to be paid and yes, they can tell u your services no longer are needed

They can fire you. Even if they should have paid you (that depends on the state), I don't see the big deal about whether you get it today (Friday) or Monday. What should do next is obvious: just wait for Monday and then get your check.

Yes, not real bright huh?

2nd question is no.

Have you ever had a job, kid?

You get paid for the amount that you worked. You get the check when the person processing it can actually cut the check. Not when they “fire” you, which they didn’t do. You properly gave notice and they clearly didn’t want it...so they just ended things prematurely.