What type of fire extinguisher do i need in an audio-visual recording studio?

I’m trying to acquire fire extinguishers for a commercial studio with equipments like; computers, cameras, mixers, lots of cables, acoustic foams, various types of lights, microphones, keyboards, guitars & other musical & video production equipments. There’s also furniture & clothing. I thought it was an easy task until I started researching types of fire & fire extinguishers. Now I’m more confused than I was before researching! Pls help!!!

Favorite Answer

You have mostly electrical stuff, so it needs to be rated for Class "C" fires and also some stuff that (if it burned) would be a Class "A" fire, such as foam and clothing and wood, so you want one rated for that too. If you don't have any flammable liquids, such as grease or gasoline, then then you don't need a Class "B" rating, but it doesn't hurt if it has one. So you want one rated for A and C or for ABC.

There are companies you can hire who will do an assessment and make recommendations. They might recommend a system as opposed to simple fire extinguishers...which only work if someone is there to use it...

Sounds like you are spending some money to do this right...don't skimp when it comes to fire protection.

Call the Fire Marshall in your state. Requirements differ. They will send you a list of the approved ones and may even send you a list of where to buy them.

Call your Fire Marshall's office now.

• paul

CO2 is best for use on electric products

• Nuff Sed

Yes, CO2 or other so-called "dry agent" (like Halon), not messy dry chemical or powder.