Why does Rashida Tlaib care so little about her grandmother that she wont visit her unless Israel allows her to agitate violence while there?

• TNO
    Favorite Answer

Her priorities for visiting Israel clearly involve being anti-Israel, not visiting family. Her itinerary made that unquestionably clear. Unfortunately it seems like she used her elderly grandmother to hate on Israel, foregoing visiting the nonagenarian she may never see again just to hate on another nation. As my own grandmother is getting up there, I honestly don't understand that. That quote by Golda Meir is just ringing true for me thinking about this case: "Peace will come when the Arabs will love their children more than they hate us". I don't think all or even most Arabs think like this, and I'm quoting verbatim so just replace "children" with "family", but I think this quote especially made in the context of this conflict is rather striking.

All she had to do is pledge not to engage in anti-Israel activity. Even if you disagree with Israel's request, I still think that, for family, you swallow your pride and agree to it. But it was never about visiting family, not really. I think she expected Israel to completely block her, which is why she actually gave the impression that she'd be fine with such a stipulation prior to Israel officially extending the offer to her. Since they did, she just decided to twist her narrative.

It should be understood that Israel's request isn't that unexpected nor unprecedented. For starters, the USA has blocked Israeli politicians for their own affiliations and actions. Rashida Tlaib is active in efforts to do effectual harm to Israel, though not physical but in economic, social and political venues. However, she has expressed worrying sympathies to terrorist groups that have physically harmed Israelis, which is concerning enough. Still, Israel has made it clear that it doesn't tolerate proponents for BDS, and has even blocked insane, far-leftist Jews using the same laws. However, with Tlaib, there is also the concerning fact that she wanted to initially use taxpayer funding to meet with legit anti-Israel, anti-Semitic and sympathetic to terrorist groups. That's alarming, and considering the noted lack of even moderate or mundane pro-Israel groups makes her claims of engaging in healthy debate with Israelis look empty and insulting.

• Mike

I think she should agree to the restrictions and, once she gets there, start trash talking. What are they going to do about it?

• Henry

I don't think that's true.

didnt she try to visit something called the west bank which you have to go through israel to get to?