Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysChristmas · 4 months ago

Should our family sacrifice, have a wee Christmas this year?

The kids and the wife sat down...and we had the ... talk. With the price of gas up, and the yield curve inverted, Santa isn't spending as much money this year. We're going to re-wrap LAST year's gifts. have you had this talk?

• Lolly

What a cheapskate. You can't save some money between now and Dec 25th? Bring your lunch, skip that coffee, shop on sale. Have some imagination.

And a re-wrapped gift isn't a gift.

• Cammie

It's only August . You can find small gifts before Xmas.I love the idea of a giving holiday. Church, Donate blood [ not small kids ] , Work in a soup kitchen or food pantry.Some charities ask for cooked food.What a wonderful holiday event.

Perhaps you could make items for people that have less than you do?

Buy used clothes and make purses or quilts, or ____- out of them?

Pray to GOD of help.

• A C

No family - no talk. And I don't see the point of rewrapping last year's gifts. Just focus on Jesus - the reason for the season. Go to church. Maybe you should try helping the needy this year. Volunteer at a soup kitchen or something like that. It is more blessed to give than to receive.

By all means have a very wee Christmas, but don't re-wrap presents. I'd never do that, as it seems mean-spirited. But there are endless ways to rein in Christmas and some of the happiest in my life were when we had very little as a family. It was easy to scale back Christmas dinner and to provide gifts for the kids only. Many times we home-made gifts and went out foraging for holly etc., as decorations and I'd bake and the kids would help in all the endeavours. One Christmas eve when money was tight, we went out on a hedgehog hunt on a frosty night and actually found one. We came home afterwards and all had hot chocolate and cake, and though my 'kids' are now middle-aged, they remember that year with great love and affection. So I'd say.... be creative!