Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 12 months ago

If Quebec is French, then Atlantic Canada is Celtic. right?

Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland and parts of New Brunswick (I know it's Acadian) has a blend of Scottish Irish and Welsh.

Even Halifax has pubs where they play live Irish music. I could be wrong though.

Eastern Canada (Quebec and Maritimes)= Franco-Celtic Canada.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Quebec is less French than the USA is British. It stopped being officially French before the USA even existed.

There are a lot of people from the UK who moved to the Maritimes, but, that was a long time ago. Parts still retain the flavour, particularly Nova Scotia, most notably Cape Breton Island, but, saying that the entire area is even remotely Celtic is going to far.

• 11 months ago

Not really. There are Celtic parts, but there are also French parts of the Maritimes. One of the most common last names of people living on PEI is an Acadian name, and there are Acadian pockets on the island, where you'll find French-speakers, French road signs, etc. New Brunswick has some very Acadian areas and some very Brayonne areas (both French.) Ever been to Moncton?

Prince Edward Island and southeastern New Brunswick just hosted the Congres mondial acadien (World Acadian Congress) in August. This event occurs every 5 years to celebrate the Acadian culture. All events I attended were in French.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.